Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Italian Police Order Seizure Of 'leonardo' Portrait In Switzerland

Discussion in 'Current Affairs In Italy' started by Aurelia, Feb 15, 2015.

1. Well, if it's taken illegally, I say: "go for it!"

"Italian authorities have ordered the seizure from a Swiss bank vault of a portrait attributed to Leonardo da Vinci that they say was illegally taken from Italy." (the Guardian article: http://www.theguardian.com/artandde...r-seizure-of-leonardo-portrait-in-switzerland ) This portrait of a noblewoman is valued at €95m, which is, I guess, the expected price - it's da Vinci, after all.

So many antiques and valuable paintings have been taken by other museums... and it can become a nightmare tracking them down, and even worse, trying to get them back...

Well, this one seems to have gone just fine.

2. If this portrait was illegally taken from Italy it should be returned. That was a great article @Aurelia I'm wondering if they ever found the true owner of the painting. It's a shame, but believe it or not this type of occurrence happens more frequently than we are made aware of.:oops: