Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

How Late Do You Eat?

Discussion in 'General Discussion About Italy' started by sundriedsam, Oct 18, 2011.

1. We usually have our evening meal early, around 5 or 6pm but I'm aware that elsewhere in Europe they like to eat later in the evening. What's a typical time to eat an evening meal in Italy?

2. I think that like most people they tend to eat around 6.30. Sometimes they might take a later meal such as 7 pm when there is something else going on during the day.

3. In the North of Italy people tend to eat around 7:30 - 8:30pm and in South Italy around 8:00 - 9:00pm. Also when eating out in the evening people tend to each much later.

4. Like the rest of Europe, Italians do tend to eat dinner later in the evening. Generally, Italians enjoy dinner between 7-9 in the evening, but often people go out to eat even later.

5. Any time I have been in France, Germany or the Netherlands I have always found restaurants open for meals from quite early, say 5pm, but they don't have much trade until much later as it's customary to eat later than 7pm.

6. I eat around 9-10 because if I don't go to bed with a full stomach I end up getting up in the middle of the night for a snack. Strange but true.

7. I eat around 9-10,as that best fits into my schedule. Also I find when I eat around 5, I get hungry again right before bed. Which really isn't good.

8. I usually eat around 8 when I'm in Italy, which is strange I suppose since when I'm in the states I eat around 5 or 6. I feel like food in Italy is such an event, that you may start cooking around 6 and need all that time to be ready by 8. There's not such a rush to eat and relax, because Italy as a country is more relaxed than America.

9. schedule is good and bad.

10. I Like to go for dinner , 8 tp 9 pm .

11. Also eat Early in evening , Around 6 t0 7

12. I actually eat around 6-6:30 every day. I start preparing dinner at around 5 o'clock and try to eat before 7 o'clock. I heard that it's best to eat at least 4 hours before going to bed.

13. I try to eat before 7 o'clock. I think that it's right to eat at least 4 hours before going to bed. But of course sometimes I eat and later until 9.00 pm. After that time i usually avoid to eat except yogurt or some fruit. I avoid to go out at night for dinner after 9.00pm.

14. #15 Giorgio, Jul 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
    Hi! I usually have dinner around at nine o'clock pm, especially that it's summer now! In the winter, I usually have dinner at half past eight! :)

15. I have seen that most people prefer to eat by 6-7 pm. It is custom over here to eat early and finish off early. I think it is a really good practice which is good for health also. I usually finish dinner by 7.30. This is the usual time in our home and then we spend the rest of the time relaxing.

16. Dinner or supper? For supper, it's over at 6 p.m. Dinner is until very late at night, and snacks may follow at around 12 or 1 in the morning. A cup of coffee and a walk to the local diner is more common around that hour than earlier in the night. I sometimes run out of ideas for snacks at home and would more prefer just grabbing a snack from nearby diners or drive-ins.

17. We are a typical Italian family and we eat dinner anywhere between 7-9 PM. I usually put fruits out on the table for the kids around 5 PM for a little snack if they are hungry.

18. I know that most Italians eat dinner between 7 and 9:00 pm. But I, even while I'm Italy, eat anytime from 7pm to 2am.

19. When in Italy if you dine out, you must get to the restaurant by 7-7.30pm otherwise you won't get a table. Many places won't take reservations unless you are local. It happened to me on one trip, some friends were window shopping and by the time we got to the main area all the tables were full and no one turns tables as people sit there for a few hours for dinner. The rest of the trip was spent rushing to get a table after that!

I like to eat about 7-8pm, but I am partial to midnight snacks too depending on what I am doing. There is always room for a chocolate snack.