Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

How Good Is Italy's Healthcare System?

Discussion in 'Health and Education' started by Julian02, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Have any of you had anything to do with the Italian healthcare system? Are they doing a good job? Are their doctors well trained? Are their hospitals well managed and do they have all the modern equipment needed? How much dos it cost to have something like a broken hand fixed?

2. From my experience, the Italian health system is kind of amazing :)
    They are well prepared, they will treat you right and, as a comparison with my home country, they will treat you like a person, not like an object :p

About the equipment, I guess it depends on the hospital but in general, they're really well equipped. Both technical wise and staff wise :)
    Last time I went to the hospital it wasn't for an emergency, I was given a "white code". That means they considered my problem to be a small one. They treated me with respect though, they were very professional and the only downside was that I had to wait for a few hours to get in... there were other patients who had more severe problems so they took them first. Some women even had babies while I was waiting.... so yeah, they got priority for a good reason :p

Regarding the costs.... well, it depends on what you have.
    For a "white code" problem (which to them is like.. nothing), I paid almost €50, plus the medication I was prescribed.
    My boyfriend, for something that got stuck in his eye, paid nothing, it was free because it was quite a serious problem (but didn't require surgery or anything like that!).

3. I second everything Rosie said. Doctors and nurses are highly trained. Italy has awesome medical universities. The quality of healthcare is awesome (free or very small fees). It's just very disorganized. I had pleurisy and it was the horrible pain ever! The doctor was very caring (and was shadowed by many students lol). But the wait was soooooo long to get in. Like 4-5 hours. And there was like two chairs in the hallway/waiting area for 75+ people. I have also waited in American emergency rooms so it's all relative I guess. But there's no TVs, cosy seats, games for kids or magazines. Italian hospitals aren't quite as new and shiny as American ones (that basically resemble hotels) and they are very crowded. But I liked that it didn't cost me $3,000 dollars just to walk through the doors.

4. I have never used the Italian healthcare system but from what i know i would echo everything the others have said. The healthcare in Italy is ranked very highly by the World health organisation. Italy has the world's 6th highest life expectancy which must owe much to the fantastic healthcare.

Italy has a mixed public/private system, the public part is called the SSN and is administered on a regional basis. Italian Doctor's are very passionate about medicine and highly skilled. The best hospitals are said to be in northern and central Italy, with the ones in the south said to be somewhat less sophisticated.

5. Well hopefully I will never get to find out how good it is as I hope I don't have to ever need it!

I think for any tourist, the healthcare in a country your visiting isn't normally the first thing that comes to mind, but I have to say that when i do go to italy, if i do need it then i wouldnt have any concerns. I think most countries around the world have decent healthcare for tourists, of course it helps that travel insurance puts up any costs that might be involved.

This might be different if your an actual resident in that country? Over here in the UK were lucky to have the NHS (who I work for incidentally) so healthcare isn't really something we have to worry about.

6. Italy has the world's 14th highest life expectancy, thanks to its best health care system. In 2000 Italy's healthcare system was regarded as the 2nd best in the world after France. The life expectancy at birth in Italy was 82.3 years in 2012, which is over two years above the OECD average.

7. Italy has a very good health care system and hospitals usually are well equipped and efficient. When you have an emergency and go to the hospital, you are assigned a code, based on the gravity of your injuries. A white code is for something non-urgent and often you are advised to go see your physician, a green code is for minor injuries, a yellow code is for serious injuries and a red code is for life-threatening injuries and emergencies. The waiting time depends on which code you are assigned, Red codes have the priority over everything else and people with white and green codes have to wait longer. Same goes for the price, people with red and yellow codes are treated for free, while people with green and white ones have to pay a small fee. But if people have low incomes, they are exonerated and they get treated for free for everything.

8. Depending on where the part of the country you're in, I suppose. Like everywhere else, the cities have better healthcare compared to the countryside, they have better access to meds, equipment, and they can respond quickly when the need arises. If you are talking about insurance though, then that's what I do not know. For tourists, I believe you won't have one, that is why you always hear news about foreigners owing hundreds of thousands of dollars when they get emergency treatment in the United States.

9. I think, as for a country with a higher GDP in europe, the health care system is quite bearable. Of course there are lot of depending on the infrastructure, if it is a town or a bigger city.

As for a visitor, if you have european union healthcare card then nothing can go really wrong.