Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Do You See A Growing Number Of Migrants As A Threat?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs In Italy' started by artyarson, Jun 3, 2016.

1. This has been going on for a long time, but the problem is it usually only affects the southern part of Italy and not the north. I do think by now they know what to do, but with Turkish camps being opened the EU sees that as an option, but most will refuse to go.

One problem is that there are too many open borders and it's impossible to patrol all of them, by air, sea and land.

2. Like Gabe said, there are too many open borders and its impossible to patrol them all. I'm sicilian and the number of the migrants is reaching unheard of levels. My heart goes out to all those poor souls, looking for refuge and I think we should and must offer ospitality but they need to be spread all over the country, the south is getting very crowded and we can't afford to take them all in. I hope the government will be able to find a better solution soon, for our sake and for the sake of all those people.

3. It is a threat because of the poor way in which things are being handled. This is nothing but pure insanity, we only have extreme politics, nobody want to meet in the middle, it is all about closing all borders and treating all migrants as criminals or simply having an open border policy disregarding all complaints from the native population and silencing any piece of news or evidence that shows that some of these people are not adapting well and are bringing a lot of trouble. Both extremes are dangerous.

Things are going to get ugly pretty fast.

4. Yes, that's true. The North of Italy feels blessed, as it's simply too far from that sea.

5. The number of immigrants entering all the countries but especially Italy is certainly a worry. I'm not saying that the rest of Europe should turn its back on the genuine refugees, but there's a lot coming over that are just taking advantage if the situation and that can't be allowed to continue for much longer.

6. I like this sentence very much! Yes for the sake of all the people! Not just the ones coming in, but also the ones that are already living in the country.

7. It's a common European problem these days. I mean, I get that Europeans want to help out, but sometimes they help TOO much, often to the point that the people they are helping often feel that they are privileged and that they should be served. They crowd the streets, breaking laws, and yelling out racism when they are arrested. Sure, it doesn't reflect to all migrants, but it does show a bad light to them when their extreme end would create havoc in cities that actually opened their arms for them.

8. Migrants set fire to Lampedusa migrant shelter in protest

And here's the example! Matches well with your words.

9. Pоlitiсiаns аrе widеly split in twо mаin grоups: xеnоphоbiсs аnd pеоplе wаiting fоr еurоpе tо prоvidе сlеаrеr indiсаtiоns. аftеr аll, thеsе rеfugееs/migrаnts (it tаkеs sоmе timе tо dеtеrminе if thеy rеаlly аrе rеfugееs) dоn't wаnt tо stаy in Itаly, thеy wаnt tо mоvе up nоrth аs sооn аs thеy саn. Surе, еurоpеаn funds аrе bеing usеd tо finаnсе thе еmеrgеnсy, but thе lоgistiсs burdеn is оn Itаly if nо bеttеr rеlосаtiоn plаns аrе put in plасе.

10. The migrant problem is one that is going to be very hard to solve, and I'm not even sure if there is a solution and especially in places like Italy that seem to be bearing the brunt of it. Other countries in Europe ARE trying to help, but at the same time what a lot of people have said about Italy (they have to look after their own first) all the other countries are trying to do the same.

The UK is under fire for not taking enough, but the fact of the matter is that we are struggling to look after the people that are already in the country now, never mind taking any more in. That's one of the main reasons that people voted to leave the EU as we were sick of being told what was best for our country by those in the EU, and sooner or later I think that maybe Italy will start to think about doing the same.