Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Buying Private Insurance In Italy Due To High Hhi

Discussion in 'Health and Education' started by ralmom101013, Jan 20, 2015.

1. I've been researching a lot about the Italian health care system lately, and I've found that they adjust the variables based on how much you make. For instance, if you make less money, you get fuller coverage, but if you make more money, the benefits are less since you can more than likely afford private insurance. I was sort of surprised finding this out, because I have always thought that Europe in general was more sympathetic than the US in healthcare. What are your thoughts?

2. Interesting approach.. I actually didn't know about this.
    I know that, for certain emergencies, the hospital will not ask you for money. The gravity of a patient's situation is measured based on a code of colors, red is for patients who need immediate care, yellow for people who are in danger but can wait a bit longer, and so on. Depending on the gravity of your situation you will either have to pay, or you will be covered by insurance.

Speaking of insurance, there was a time (3 years back) when I was out of a job, but I had to go to the hospital. The doctors recommended I do some tests, but they were expensive so they told me to get a document that specifically said I was unemployed, so I could benefit for free treatment. And this was for a private clinic! I got the document and had my tests done, for free, in a private clinic. If it was my boyfriend who would have had to do these tests, he would have had to pay almost half his salary, as he wasn't fully covered. like you said.