Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Biggest City In Italy

Discussion in 'Travel and Tourism In Italy' started by mairj23, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Hello everyone, I know Italy has a lot of cities, towns, and villages but what is the biggest city in Italy? I'm very curious because the internet can give you all kinds of bad information. Would like to hear from people on this site?

2. Chillout likes this.
  3. Population wise Rome is the biggest city in Italy and then comes Milan and Naples. I suppose Rome being one of the most famous Italian cities, it is taken for granted that it is also the biggest city. The largest city in Italy land wise is Milan. The Milan metropolitan region is also part of the so-called Blue Banana, the area of Europe with the highest population and industrial density, and one of the Four Motors for Europe.

sallymarie likes this.
  4. There's a difference in biggest as in size, and biggest in reputation though.

I'd imagine that most Italians are proud of where they come from and each will point to a different aspect as in regards to which city is the best, bigger doesn't always mean better don't forget.

sallymarie likes this.
  5. Rome is the biggest and busiest city year round, mainly also because of the Vatican. It's so huge, you really can't explore all of it in a week properly. Milan is also a large city, but I do find it's spread out and is more industrial. Those are the main cities for me for tourism and business that are constant.

sallymarie likes this.
  6. The Vatican, I forgot about that place! I wonder just how many tourists they actually get every year just to visit there alone?

I've never been and although I'm not really religious it's somewhere I wouldn't mind going, just to say that I've been once in my life.

sallymarie likes this.
  7. I would say not only tourists, but many people feel a calling to go there for Easter and Christmas. You can get free tickets online to go and many Catholics don't see it as a holiday but where they need to be. Some feel that they have to go if they are praying for help for a loved one and people do take the ill there in the hope it will make a difference. Therefore Rome will always be busier all year round.

8. Again, this goes back to the question about places of religion having to embrace tourism. I'm sure it's certainly not what the church wants but at the same time what can actually be done?

9. Milаn is thе mаin industriаl аnd finаnсiаl сеntrе оf Itаly аnd оnе оf glоbаl signifiсаnсе. In tеrms оf GDP, it hаs thе lаrgеst есоnоmy аmоng еurоpеаn nоn-саpitаl сitiеs.
    Milаn is аn аlphа lеаding glоbаl сity, with strеngths in thе аrts, соmmеrсе, dеsign, еduсаtiоn, еntеrtаinmеnt, fаshiоn, finаnсе, hеаlthсаrе, mеdiа, sеrviсеs, rеsеаrсh, аnd tоurism. Its businеss distriсt hоsts Itаly's Stосk еxсhаngе аnd thе hеаdquаrtеrs оf nаtiоnаl аnd intеrnаtiоnаl bаnks аnd соmpаniеs. Thе сity is а mаjоr wоrld fаshiоn аnd dеsign саpitаl, wеll knоwn fоr sеvеrаl intеrnаtiоnаl еvеnts аnd fаirs, inсluding Milаn Fаshiоn Wееk

pwarbi likes this.
  10. I think that if you ask anybody about what the most famous city in Italy is, then Milan will be mentioned more than most others. I think that as far as importance goes though to the country itself, Rome is maybe the city that will be visited for the historical aspect more. I've been to both cities in the past, and for which one is best then I'm going to sit on the fence a bit, because both have their own appeal depending on what you want.

11. Rome for sure is the most big, but also Milano is good :)

The best cities are Florence, Rome, Milano, Venice.