Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Featured Amalfi Coast

Discussion in 'Travel and Tourism In Italy' started by TuttoItaly, Aug 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. The Amalfi Coast is a very popular tourist attraction, thousands of tourists come to Italy every year to visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site. The place is considered to be the most beautiful stretch of coastline in Italy. Maybe that's why it's mentioned in books ("Finding Positano, A Love Story" written by William James), movies ("Under the Tuscan Sun" and "A good woman") and even music (mentioned in Beyonce's song, "Upgrade U").

The symbol of the Amalfi Coast is a white eight pointed cross, the same symbol of the Order of the Knights of Malta, founded in the Middle Ages. The "Costiera Amalfitana" is also one of the first places where paper was made. Pretty interesting fact, right?

There are numerous attractions here, on the Coast. A few towns are situated along it, each having something special for tourists to visit.

For example, the town of Amalfi is the home of Saint Andrew's Cathedral. It was build in the 11th century and both the interior as well as the exterior are magnificent. The old paper mill in Amalfi is now home for the Museum of Handmade Paper, a place you should definitely visit. The Cloister of Paradise is an important place as well, it used to be a burial ground for noble families but now it's an interesting open-air museum.

The town of Ravello is also a magnificent place to visit, especially for its scenery. Since you're here, you could also visit the Dome of Ravello, the Rufolo Villa (mentioned in Boccaccio's Decameron), The Church of San Giovanni del Toro, build before the year 1000 and Villa Cimbrone, a beautiful famous garden.

Vietri sul Mare is also called "The First Pearl of the Amalfi". Here you can check out two important museums, one of them is The Museum of ceramic of Villa Guariglia in Raito, the other one is called The Museum Cargaleiro. The town is renown for the ceramic masterpieces that are also displayed publicly on the walls of the houses here.

Positano is said to be the most impressive town on the coast. There are a few beaches you can enjoy but you could also visit the church of Santa Maria Assunta. There's a legend saying that pirates have stolen the icon of the black Madonna from the church and tried to run away with it but couldn't. A terrible storm started out at sea and the pirates heard a voice saying "put it down! put it down!". The pirates were too scared so they decided to return the icon. Immediately, the storm was over.

The Amalfi Coast is actually stretching from the town of Positano, to the west, to Vietri sul Mare, to the east. Both towns are magnificent places and many tourists like to start their journey from Vietri sul Mare and drive along the coast until they reach Positano, or vice-versa. You could choose to spend your time driving from one town to another or you could book a room and enjoy one small town at a time. The important thing is that you will definitely remain with good memories from spending your vacation on the Amalfi Coast.

2. It really is no wonder the Amalfi Coast is so popular with tourists! The first time I went to Italy it was on my list of places to visit simply because it is just so beautiful and iconic. Apart from the Leaning Tower of Pisa I would venture to say that the Amalfi Coast is one of the first things people think of when they think quintessential Italy.

sallymarie likes this.
  3. Because I love gardens, on the top of my list would be to stay at the Villa Cimbrone for the views.

53b9f4dd9fb317e500fc6ffccb0aeee5.jpg

I absolutely agree. As the old saying goes Ralph Waldo Emerson — 'Life is a journey, not a destination.', but in this case the destination is spectacular!

P.S. If you are into the Rolling Stones, legend has it this is the place where Mick Jagger and Keith Richards vacationed and wrote "Midnight Rambler".

4. When I visited, I stayed in a place called Agerola which is on the mountain above Amalfi. It's cheaper and it's a lovely walk down, or an 'interesting' bus journey down through the mountains. The cost of Amalfi has gone up, so to enjoy it at it's best, sometimes it's good to find a less mainstream base. Agerola when I visited over a decade ago was quiet, but now it seems to have grown and has more tourists visiting. You can get a local bus from Naples to Agerola very cheaply too.

The best way to visit the coastline is slowly, and to spend a day in each place, and then to the islands.

5. I hear The Grand Hotel Cocumella is the oldest hotel in the Sorrento Peninsula. It was built in the 16th century as a Jesuit Monastery, in the middle of a centuries old park. Although extremely expensive, it would be a dream place to stay while visiting the Amalfi Coast. It is suppose to have breath taking views.
    fc9bddc341b0853f632a33c7dfa61d90.jpg

6. The region around the Amalfi coast is my absolute favorite region in Italy. I've visited it more then once. The first time I stayed with a friend's family who lived there. We got to live like the locals, which was an experience I will never forget. The second time I did all the touristy stuff. This was still great but a totally different experience then getting to spend the summer there. My favorite city along that coast is Salerno. It's not as tourist but a beautiful place to walk around, go shopping and eat like the locals.

7. Ah, Villa Cimbrone gardens from the beautiful Ravello.

You know, many are missing Ravello entirely and just visit the towns along the coast road (Amalfi, Positano, Vietri Sul Mare .etc). And of those that do make it up to Ravello, a part also miss Villa Cimbrone, since it's in the other part of the town and they just make it to Villa Rufolo which is right in the center of the town.

But, it's their loss and our gain, as to me the Villa Cimbrone is the most remarkable sight on the entire Amalfi Coast. The views you get from the Terrace of Infinity are unmatched.