Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Working In Italy

Discussion in 'Employment' started by Max Ngai, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Hi, I'm Max... I would like to know what kind of jobs more easlier to find in Itlay If who has Italy working visa..

2. Work in general is hard to find in Italy. What part of Italy was you thinking of coming to? There seems to be more work in the north than the south.

3. If you are from a non European country you will need a working visa for any job. (or should I say any legal job)

It all depends on what experience you have and how well you speak Italian.

4. How is the TEFL Teaching English Market in the large cities, for example; Bolognia, Florence, Milano and Venecia ?

Thanks for your input in advance.

Happy Holidays, Buon Natale,
    Margaux Cintrano.

5. Hi Max :)
    I think that work agencies will be able to help you.

They are everywhere and, even if we go through hard times right now, there are still high chances that they will find you something to work. Whether it's in a factory or a pizzeria, they will provide you with all the legal documents you need to work in Italy.

Good luck!

6. Yes, Rosie is right.
    Work agencies are the first place one should go to find a job. If that doesn't work (and lately it's harder and harder) try to ask around. There are bars that might hire you or maybe you know someone who needs a babysitter or someone to take care of their grandparents.

7. Is it eaier to get a job after arriving or do you need to secure a job before you go. I have my TEFL certificate and would love to find a job teaching English.

8. I agree about going to work agencies. They can help provide you with all the information you need as it regards to finding work and the process you have to go through.

9. I think it would be very hard to find a job without actually being here although you could try contacting some local language schools and they may be able to help you!

10. Can you suggest some work agencies? I am interested in teaching English.

11. I know many people who spent a few months in Italy as nannies. That's a bit of a bet -- one girl got placed in an awesome, well-off family. Her pay was good, her working job was not too taxing, she got to learn a lot of Italian and help the kids do their homework and learn French. Not used as a maid or as a "well take care of the kids the whole weekend long while we go on Holiday". She got some time to explore the city and had some days off, holidays, etc.

Others just get exploited, get bad jobs with hell kids that they have to look after and clean after and very bad pay and treatment.

I am also curious to hear about work agencies. Where I'm from, people pretty much tell you that they give you bad paying jobs in remote places. How about Italy?

12. Well.. from my past experiences, it depends on the agency and it depends on your own luck, so to speak.

I've worked with some agencies before, random ones I found (I just saw a work agency, went in and applied for any job available that would fit), and I've had great jobs (from which unfortunately I was let go... bastards :p ) and I've had horrible jobs (last horrible job I had, I chose to quit myself! Didn't even wait for my contract to finish.. ).

The thing is, every work agency probably has their "own people", they KNOW are hard working and make a good impression. They will probably get the best jobs available.
    The new people, which the agency doesn't know and never worked with them before, probably get the bad jobs, at least until the agency will know whether yo trust them or not.
    It's only normal, if you think about it. A company will trust an agency to send them the best people they have... and if the agency sends only lazy people, then the company will look for someone else to work with and the work agency will loose a lot of money!

This is pretty much how I think work agencies do things. About which agency is best... this is an impossible question to answer :) Each one has their own contracts with different companies, each company works either with one specific agency, or works with more than one work agency and so on, and so forth.

13. I never actually used a work agency, but it looks like you would need some patience then! Though yeah, if a person is a newcomer, especially a newcomer in a new country, it would be good to go through any job offered from an agency. Because I can imagine a potential Italian employer would want to check if you have any reference he could check for in his language.

Do you have to pay or give a percentage of your salary to the agency, by the way?

14. If you are a qualified TEFL teacher with a degree and few years of experience, you shouldn't have much trouble finding a job in the larger cities and towns. It only gets a bit more challenging if you are drawn to some idyllic places that are popular with travelers and tourists. But you never know, fate might present you with an unexpected all inclusive package deal. ;)