Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Working Conditions In Italy

Discussion in 'Employment' started by Chillout, Jul 9, 2013.

1. For those of you that work in Italy. How well does your company treat you? Do they respect laws? Could they do more?

I am not interested in where you work or sector but would be interesting to see how others that work in Italy feel about the conditions that they have to work in.

This could include:

Health and Safety
    Payments - Are you paid on time.
    Courses and Information
    Do they respect the laws of Europe and Local Italian Ones.
    Contracts

The list can go on and on but I just want to get a general feeling of working conditions in Italy.

2. I can tell you about a particular bad experience I had with my employer, 2 years ago.
    I used to work in a small factory. I worked there through a work agency but it was not what I expected. I accepted the job because I was unemployed and thought, yeah, it's a job!

However, everything was great except for the treatment :D
    We were safe, had health insurance, the salary was in my bank account always on time, the laws were severely respected, they got really mad if they saw something wasn't perfect.

However, the bad thing was that, to answer your first question, they used to treat me and my 2 new colleagues like personal slaves and I don't accept that. The boss even had the guts to tell us to hurry back from the bathroom! Unacceptable, don't' you think?

It's weird too, I am a foreigner but the same treatment was applied to my work colleagues who were Italian. Odd...

Oh well, I eventually quit, I couldn't stand being treated like that. I'm not sure what the other ladies did though.

3. I work on a big company (+500 employee)
    So everything is following the laws and rules and I receive regular payment, probably on smaller company it's different

4. Looks like you just had an authoritarian leader :D, if he was doing the same to the Italian employees, it's not discrimination. Good job on quitting though, if I was in your place I could have hit somebody already :oops:.

5. Yeah, he wasn't a racist, he was just a jerk :D Is, still is from what I've heard.

I can understand that we live in difficult times and I can understand that we need to struggle to keep a job and I can also understand looking the other way when the boss makes you work more than you're supposed to because, if not, there are plenty of people who are willing to do it if you're not OK with it, but from this to treating people like garbage is a long way.

I think that work conditions in Italy are getting worse for this exact reason: bosses can "afford" to treat you like crap because if you stand up for yourself, they can tell you: "if you don't like it, you can go look for another job".

I was stubborn enough to stand up for myself and quit but others can't afford to lose their jobs, they may have a family or bank loans or whatever, and can't afford to quit.

Chillout likes this.
  6. Good for you :) I have to agree with that. The bosses are confident enough to tell you that because really, nowadays a job just wouldn't be there for you in a whim. Still, if you're being treated like that in the first place, you could always look for a new job while trying to endure your last hours in that place.

7. It is sad but due to the economic situation, it really is an employers' market. They have the right to choose whom they want to employ and decide how they want to treat them as staff. They can always play the "if you don't like it you can quit, there are plenty more people who want your job!" card.

I really don't know what the future has in store but in terms of the economy, things look pretty bleak. I hope Italy pulls through, it's survived the fall of the Roman empire!

8. Yes, but back then the country was ruled by smart people :D hehehe

I have read more sad news in the papers, regarding the summer jobs at 'tomato factories'.

Summer 'tomato jobs' were the perfect, most popular and easy way for students to do something useful during the summer (earn some cash, in translation). Then the crisis struck and there were less students working in factories and more adults.

This year, unfortunately, things are worse than ever.
    The production of tomatoes is slowly disappearing and it makes sense. People are selling their tomatoes with 84 Euros a Ton. Yes, it's 84, I didn't misspell it. So, imagine the disappointment of the people who work for months to grow their land for nothing.

Also (to give an example), at some factories in the Emilia Romagna region, the available work places are about 400, 300 of which are already occupied by people who already work there for years, and more than 1,000 have asked to work this year. Imagine that!

9. Unfortunately due to the economic situation I agree with @BWI. It really is an an employers' market. It has pretty much always been that way in Italy but now things are at the lowest levels in years.

I was just reading an article about 28,000 people applying for work at a new IKEA branch in Pisa. There are only 200 posts available.

Full story here

I do agree with @Rosie that there are limits to which people can take and she did well in quitting. The sad fact is that many companies are increasing work loads to the point where many can't carry on any further. The problem is that workers are unable to just quit as the chances of finding another job is very slim.