Who is your favorite Italian filmmaker

Fardreamer

Community Member
May 24, 2009
Who is your favorite Italian filmmaker

Though as an American who lives in the United States I tend to favor Hollywood-made films, I can't deny that Italy has long had a vibrant and very creative film industry ever since the birth of the medium at the turn of the 20th Century. Even the most casual film fan knows about such directors as Federico Fellini, Michelangelo Antonioni, Carlo Ponti, and Roberto Benigni.

Again, though I have films either directed by Italian-American directors (Francis Ford Coppola, Martin Scorsese) or written by Italian-American scriptwriters (Mario Puzo), I must admit that I only have one (sigh) Italian-made film: Sergio Leone's The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, the third and most epic installment in Leone's Man With No Name trilogy of "spaghetti Westerns" which starred Clint Eastwood.

The nice thing about the DVD I own is that not only does it have the English-dubbed version as the default, but in the audio selection sub-menu there's an Italian language option.

Thus, by default, I would have to say that my favorite Italian director is Sergio Leone, though I did like (as a kid, anyway) Duilio Colleti's World War II naval drama Sotto Dieci Bandiere, which was shown on Miami TV stations as Under Ten Flags.

Re: Who is your favorite Italian filmmaker

I am absolutely sure that among the long row of the talented Italian filmmakers the name of this man should stand separately. I think that this producer has made films which are the gold fund of the Italian cinematograph. I mean maestro Federico Fellini.

Re: Who is your favorite Italian filmmaker

I am absolutely sure that among the long row of the talented Italian filmmakers the name of this man should stand separately. I think that this producer has made films which are the gold fund of the Italian cinematograph. I mean maestro Federico Fellini.

I hate to admit this, but I have yet to watch any movie by Fellini. I suppose I should at least watch 8 1/2 to get a glimpse of his genius, right?

Keep an eye on Paolo Sorrentino.
He made
IL DIVO (based on the figure of Giulio Andreotti)
Le conseguenze dell'amore
L'amico di Famiglia
3 extra ordinary movies!!!!!!!!!! Believe me. If you don't know very much italian political history, see le conseguenze dell'amore and amico di famiglia. Do it!!!!!

Who made "The Man Without a Bicycle"? It's been years since I have seen that film, but it has laways resonated with me. I think it was either Fellini or Benigni, but I'm not sure?

As a teenager I watched Antonioni and Fellini films because it was considered cool to do so, though they were a little pretentious I thought. I don't ever watch subtitled films now but I have seen and enjoyed all of the spaggetti westerns.

Funny you should mention Man without a Bicycle. What about Vittorio De Sica's Bicycle Thieves? I'm going to have to go with De Sica if for no other reason than he is the director of Two Women.

I love movies of Federico Fellini, particularly his film "La Strada". He is a brilliant Italian film director.

Kwizzy

I don't have a favorite because I don't really like Italian films.
The thing is, I once went to the movies with my significant other and we decided to go see an Italian comedy. The poster was funny, the lady who sold us the tickets said it was funny so we were expecting a great movie.
We got bored though, we were so bored that I nearly fell asleep. Everyone else was laughing a lot but we just couldn't find anything funny about it so we left after 40-45 minutes.
I guess my humor is a lot different.

I also have to say that Roberto Benigni is my favorite. He is very talented and can play a variety of roles very well.