Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

What's The Hardest Thing To Learn?

Discussion in 'Italian Language' started by Ragazzo, Aug 12, 2013.

1. What do you all think is the hardest thing to learn about the italian language? I personally find it really, REALLY hard to remember all the conjugations because of how many tenses there are and because I keep mixing them up.

2. I think the hardest thing to learn are the dialects, but talking about the Italian language I guess.. grammar is the hardest. In my case, using the correct tense.

I sometimes make a fool of myself for not knowing how to use past tense and then I just go "that verb, past tense". I feel bad but Italians have a weird way of forming the past tense. Sometimes, they don't even know how to use it correctly (I have heard people correct other people for using it wrong).

3. I'm generally okay with grammar, but combined pronouns (e.g. se la, glielo etc. etc.) really took me a while to grasp! I remember revising them for every single Italian test and exam and still getting muddled up - I finally nailed them for the final exam though, thankfully.

4. I hate it when languages have conjugations and declinations :< I love Italian, but those things make it really hard sometimes. In general, Italian grammar is not at all easy, I think. Vocabulary is simple and often similar to words in other languages, pronunciation is a piece of cake, but the grammar is really scary!

5. Yeah, the grammar is really hard, specially compared to other languages like... Russian. I tried learning a bit of Russian and I remember the grammar being much simpler, only issue being the cyrilic alphabet which doesn't take too long to get used to.

This is another reason I consider Italian and Spanish to be very similar, heheh. They both have really difficult grammar but have fairly straightforward vocabulary and extremely simple pronunciation (though I'd guess the pronunciation is really hard to native English speakers due to how different it is).

6. I also believe that the grammar is the toughest part while speaking. It is so easy to get the right grammar at the right time. Hence I speak very slowly, taking time to think and then speak.