Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Whats Bad About Italy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion About Italy' started by pwarbi, Mar 15, 2015.

1. edit: Warning! Extremely long reply :D haha

Many people say that, but I personally don't know what to think.

I am an immigrant myself, but I have always respected this country and the people living here, from the moment I first put my feet on Italian soil, so to speak :D

Many times I've wondered, how is it possible that foreigners were able to "ruin economy" and make matters worse, when they themselves are in search of a better life? It makes no sense.

But before I answer that, I'd like to share a very real situation, that happened at my boyfriend's workplace: one day, a foreigner came looking for work. My bf. described this guy as tall, strong, pretty young (in his late 20s or 30s, so very able to work!), and he was in need for a job. So, he went in the boss' office and they talked and, well... this guy said he would be willing to do the same work my bf and his colleagues were doing, for less than half the salary the employer was offering!!

They didn't hire him, but the fact of the matter is he really offered to basically work 'for free'.

So, hypothetically, who's fault is it, if we refer to this very situation?
    Did the guy ruin things for the other employees, by being willing to work for less? Or is the employer at fault, for hiring people who are willing to work 'for free'?

Personally, I think that a person who has a decent salary will either do their job and in time, get a raise, or they will do a bad job and get fired.
    Does anyone really think that someone willing to work 'for free' will also go out of their way to do a good job? I don't think so. I think these people are in search of easy money, there is no way someone will be able to maintain a good reputation at work if they're not stimulated by their salary.

So, I personally think that it isn't the immigrants' fault that the economy gets ruined, it's the employers' fault for hiring someone who will most likely not put in the work. Less work gets done, company loses clients, company maybe goes bankrupt, all because the boss decided to hire people who don't want money. Please... :) :)

2. Its a tricky one. The same here in the UK, while there is quite a bit of unemployment still, most of the jobs that are available are getting offered to immigrants as they are willing to work for practically nothing.

Of course, the only reason they are able to do this is beacuse they live off the benefits that the government hands out so if you dont have to pay rent and get given priority to food banks and heating loans to pay for the utilities, then you can afford to turn round and work for £20 a day because you have nothing to spend your money on, its all paid for you.

Something obviously needs to be done, not just in the UK and Italy though, i have a feeling this is probably common in most countries.

Anthony likes this.
  3. Another thing I just remembered. Italians are nocturnal. When I was there our neighbors were quiet during they, but... they come out at night. From the sounds I heard I think they were watching football. And they were very vocal about it. Luckily, we just shut the window and were able to go to sleep. I guess it's a cultural thing. So, beware if you are staying with an Italian family or within hearing distance of one!

4. Haha, you could say that about pretty much any country that likes football. Somehow, no matter where in the world you are, there will ALWAYS be matches in the middle of the night

5. Football is the most popular sport in my country too. Only without the late night screaming.

6. Italy is just like any other country. There are good things as well as bad. Poor economy, crime, and just bad people in general can be found anywhere. You just have to go out and explore and if something doesn't feel right, leave.

7. Fеwеr thаn it might sееm frоm оutsidе. I wоuld sаy thаt thе “grаss is grееnеr еlsеwhеrе” аttitudе оf itаliаns givеs а bаs rеputаtiоn tо оur соuntry: оnly thоsе whо hаvе bееn аbrоаd knоw thаt thе sаmе prоblеms аrе еlsеwhеrе tоо. In gеnеrаl I wоuld sаy high tаxеs tо suppоrt а nоn-prоduсtivе stаgnаnt publiс sесtоr аrе thе numbеr оnе prоblеm. In gеnеrаl it's а gооd plасе tо livе, but it gеts а bаd rеputаtiоn bесаusе wе аrе muсh mоrе hоnеst аbоut оur prоblеms соmpаrеd tо оthеr соuntriеs аnd wе dоn't hidе thеm. Thе prоblеm is thаt wе аrе nоt аblе tо sоlvе thеm.

8. -unеmplоymеnt, еspесiаlly bаd fоr thе yоungеr gеnеrаtiоn
    -lасk оf fаith in gоvеrnmеnt аnd institutiоns (duе tо thе histоry оf соrruptiоn, nеpоtism, tаx еvаsiоn, аnd lасk оf justiсе fоr pоlitiсiаns whо hаvе brоkеn thе lаw)
    -prеvаlеnсе оf а shаdоw/blасk есоnоmy (rеlаtеd vеry muсh I think tо thе prеviоus pоint)
    -оvеrt sеxism in thе mеdiа

9. Red tape. Sometimes the most simplest of things takes a long time and a large amount of red tape. This of course is geared more towards people thinking of living in Italy rather than visiting Italy.

10. Slоw аnd intriсаtе burеаuсrасy, high tаxеs, inеffiсiеnt judiсiаry systеm, unеmplоymеnt, wаstе оf publiс mоnеy.

11. Judging by the replies we've had on the thread so far, Italy struggles with the same problems that most other countries do. These problems might be bad for Italy. but they are no worse than what other countries are also experiencing so it's more of a global problem rather than specific to Italy itself.

That's obviously a bad thing, but in a way good for Italy itself because up to now I don't think that anybody has mentioned problems specific to Italy. That means that the actual country, culture and people aren't a problem, it's just the other everyday issues that are, issues that we have to deal with no matter here in the world we live.

12. lol yeah, Italy is no different than most countries, as most countries that live in Democracy also have red tape issues, financial issues, and so on. There are far better good things in Italy than bad things, so I suppose we should be debating those? :D