Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

What Is Fruli Venezia Giulia Famous For?

Discussion in 'Friuli Venezia - Giulia' started by Question, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Almost all of the Italian regions have something that they are famous for but nothing comes to mind for this region.

Anyone know what Fruli Venezia Giulia is famous for?

2. The Friuli-Venezia Giulia region is apparently famous for its Prosciutto di San Daniele, traditionally made from the meat of the native Friuli black pigs. The prosciutto in San Daniele rivals the ham in Parma. Other than that I don't think that region is particularly well-known outside Italy but I am certain there are gems to be uncovered there!

Chillout likes this.
  3. Yes, the regulations and criteria are very strictly followed. I have seen them being sold in some shops with the hoof still attached to the leg, but in the US, if you want to import this, you have to remove the hoof, which is considered a source of contamination.

I am not sure about other Friuli specialities or what else this beautiful region has to offer. I have to ask Franc, my Milanese friend whose father was born in the Friuli area (technically he is only half-Milanese then!). He has an interesting family name peculiar to the Friuli area; Zoff.

Chillout likes this.