What famous American films have been filmed in Italy?

Fardreamer

Community Member
May 24, 2009
What famous American films have been filmed in Italy?

Although many U.S. films - particularly those about World War II in Italy - have been shot in the States, there have been many Hollywood movies that are shot there even if they are not set there.

A good example is George Lucas' Star Wars prequels; the exteriors and some interior shots of the Naboo palace were shot in Italy, and the volcano planet of Mustafar used some footage of Sicily's Mt. Etna for the lava eruptions and flows.

Also, Tom Cruise's Mission Impossible 3 shot some "Vatican City" scenes in Caserta.

Can anyone else here point out U.S. films which were shot in Italy?

Re: What famous American films have been filmed in Italy?

I'm sure there have been many, but right now I can't think of one, since you're asking about movies filmed in Italy though not placed there. Oh -- weren't all of Clint Eastwood's spaghetti westerns filmed in Italy?

Re: What famous American films have been filmed in Italy?

I'm sure there have been many, but right now I can't think of one, since you're asking about movies filmed in Italy though not placed there. Oh -- weren't all of Clint Eastwood's spaghetti westerns filmed in Italy?

I think at least the in-studio bits of Sergio Leone's Man With No Name Westerns may have been filmed near Rome, but the exteriors were mostly shot in Granada, Spain.

Another American-made movie shot in Italy that I recall is Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade; part of that movie is set in Venice/Venezia.