Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

What Exactly Are Hostels?

Discussion in 'General Discussion About Italy' started by goofytourist, Oct 25, 2011.

1. My friend mentioned staying in a hostel once, and said something about a roommate. May someone explain to me what they are, and are they only in Italy or all over Europe? Thank you in advance.

2. There are hostels in many counties and not just in Europe. They are low cost accommodation and usually have dormitories in which to sleep and shared facilities like bathrooms and kitchens. It's usually young people who stay in them and, certainly, you would have to enjoy sharing and not mind a lack of privacy.

3. Hostels are sort of like a hotel, but less expensive and less private as mentioned above. Some hostels are nicer than others so look for what people are saying about them online. Also, look for hostels that are dry. They usually house more modest types and you'll be better off getting a good night's sleep.

4. I stayed in a Youth Hostel once when I was younger. These are not only for young people and are run by an association that keeps them in good repair. They can be very friendly places to stay as you meet fellow travellers and you all muck in with the cooking and cleaning.:)

5. Depending on how snobby you are they are one step above homeless shelters. Of course that also depends on the shelter. I really can't imagine staying in one but I guess that's because I value my privacy and I'm willing to pay for it. I agree with CeeAnna-try to find one that doesn't allow alcohol.

6. Personally, I'm not into hostels but a lot of people I know have stayed in them before. If you are traveling on a budget and just need a bed and a shower I think they will work. I would not recommend them for a vacation or for families though. They are pretty much all over. I've seen many in the US, usually in bigger cities like Los Angeles, New York, and Seattle. I'm not sure if the hostels in Italy are much different.

7. Thanks for all the responses, I think I understand now. I especially enjoyed you're comment Angie. And I guess I'm a bit too snobby for them. :p I'm in to meeting new people and all, but I do in fact need my privacy.

8. Hostels are very inexpensive places where you can sleep and shower. They aren’t like hotels because you are typically only renting a bed for a night. You usually share a room with many other people and there are often just lines of bunk beds lined up in a room. They bathrooms are also shared between many people. I have personally never stayed in one. I’ve heard too many horror stories from my friends who have travelled throughout Europe and stayed in them.

9. Hostels are more advanced these days and some have their own rooms with private facilities, or family rooms. They call themselves a hostel because it allows them flexibility, but many have dorm rooms and shared bathrooms as well as kitchen use and lockers. In some ways it's a like a self-service hotel, and it's more casual in that you can turn up without reservations, (although many do require them in season).

I've stayed in several in Italy and most are really well run and will help you find a hostel in another city when you move on. I stayed in a youth hostel in Lipari which was an old castle. Italy has some amazing hostels, so don't be put off by them.

10. Not all hostels are 'one step up from an homeless shelter' though, and I think that's being a bit harsh. A lot of hostels these days have all the amenities you require, you just have to share them with others.

If your a solo traveller then that might be a cause for concern, but if there's a few of you travelling it would be fine I'd imagine.