Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Whаt Shоuld I Knоw Bеfоrе Mоving Tо Itаly?

Discussion in 'General Discussion About Italy' started by JimGoodman, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Whаt shоuld I knоw bеfоrе mоving tо Itаly?
    сurrеntly living with my аunt in Flоridа. My pаrеnts аrе lеаving Brаzil tо Itаly this mоnth. аlthоugh wе'rе unsurе if wе'rе gоnnа livе in Tоrinо оr Milаn, I'll bе аrriving а mоnth аftеr thеm.

2. Аs Аmеriсаns wе’rе ассustоmеd tо а сеrtаin lеvеl оf…еxpеdiеnсy frоm оur sеrviсе prоvidеrs аnd vеndоrs. Wе’rе аlsо usеd tо а сеrtаin stаndаrd оf living, аrсhitесturе, sосiаl соnduсt, lаws аnd а sоmеwhаt minimаl lеvеl оf gоvеrnmеnt burеаuсrасy tо impеdе оur livеs аnd timе.
    Thrоw аwаy аll thеsе еxpесtаtiоns. Nоw. (Disсlаimеr: Hаving pаrеnts frоm Brаzil yоu mоrе thаn likеly аrе аlrеаdy ассustоmеd tо а diffеrеnt lеvеl оf stаndаrd, I dоn’t knоw I’vе nеvеr bееn tо Brаzil)
    I lоvе аnd will rеtirе in Itаly, аftеr living in thе соuntry fоr thrее yеаrs plus I саn sаy I аm а bеttеr аnd mоrе wоrldly pеrsоn fоr living in thе plасе (оk mаybе thе lаst pоint оbviоus).

3. Well, there is a lot to know, especially about the culture. It depends what region you are in, and whether it is a city or whether it will be more rural.

It's hard to say when we don't know much about you; will you go to church as that is important, do you know about the siestas, and how is your Italian? Observe others and listen more before you interact, that's a general rule whenever you are on a new place.

4. Travelling or touring in another country is really an awesome experience. But if we talk about a tour in Italy, it's totally fabulous! The experience was really awesome and I can't bear to forget those moments!

But let me guide you about a few things to make sure before going for the tour. Firstly, you should first choose the best tourism providers. Especially if you are travelling for the first time or at least you can hire a guide person along the tour. In this way, you won't miss any special moments during the tour. Also don't forget to take your Digital camera to capture those picturesque moments during the tour.

5. All you need to know when you want to live in a new country is their culture, lifestyle and language. You don't have to speak perfect Italian since they also speak English but a little Italian can come in handy. People there are friendly and you won't have a problem adjusting.

6. Before going to Italy, it would certainly help you to know a bit of the customs and cultures there as a whole. Know which areas to avoid and which to explore. Know some introductory phrases such as 'hello'.

7. That's not actually true; there are many people who don't speak English!

The OP is moving to Italy not visiting as a tourist, but of course he can do touristy things. There are things to know such as registering with the local council if you are staying longer than 90 days, as you may need to to access local services. It all depends on the area, town or city.

Obviously opening a bank account is important if you living there and that's why you need some documents to prove you are resident.

pwarbi likes this.
  8. I think that's where the problem lies, and a lot of people will think that going to Italy or any country for that matter on holiday and moving there permanently are more or less the same thing when they are in fact totally different. Like @Gabe says, when you first move over there and especially if you haven't been before then you will obviously do some things like visit places of interest, but your main focus should really be finding work, finding a place to live and the normal everyday things that we all have to do.

9. It's easier to get some knowledge about a place you intend visiting through a forum like this or by just searching generally online. Whenever I am making a tour to a new destination I would read it up on forums and do other searches online. The paramount things you should look out are the culture of the people, their religion, cost of living in those places and others.

pwarbi likes this.
  10. Visiting the country a few times before you actually make the big move is also important. Even though we have said that visiting a country on holiday or for just a few days is totally different from moving there to live, I do think that getting some experience of the country is invaluable and it can make the move a lot smoother than just turning up with your suitcases packed, not knowing what to expect.

tony likes this.
  11. I quite agree with the point you raised @pwarbi having to do with first paying a visit to the country to have a clue of the place before making a final move. It's quite thoughtful to have a good idea of the place we are moving our family to before embarking on the journey. Otherwise, in some cases we may have to face a reality which is quite different from what we envisaged

pwarbi likes this.
  12. I'm sure that we've all been in the position where we've visited a country or place and been tempted to live there, but when we go there on holiday it's a totally different experience to living there.

Unless we have retired, the biggest issue is that we won't be able to spend the days exploring the area and relaxing but will have to work, so that means we won't get to enjoy the region as much as we'd like.

13. Yep, no question about that. One thing is visiting a country while on holidays, and another thing would be to move and live there. I suppose the first thing we would need before moving to Italy is if we have a job and also if we can speak the language, without these two I don't think we could live there.

14. Personally, I would like to visit countries I have good knowledge about. One thing I don't think I'll like any country, outside my home country, that much to relocating my family totally there. We can visit for months, enjoy ourselves but we sure not going to be there permanently

15. Well I would say that one thing that is pretty obvious, but of course it would be devastating if you forgot, was that the outlets are different. Maybe things have changes a little since I was over there, but that threw me for a loop.

16. I think that in the past maybe a lot of people would have felt the same, and they would stick to the countries that they were more familiar with. These days though, the world is a lot smaller place, and we can go to other countries that we may not have thought about visiting before and even though they are different to what we're used to, we can still get by and it's not the massive change that it once was.

Italy as always been open to tourism, and more and more these days it's becoming more open to people going over there to live and work as well, so it's not the culture shock that it once was.

17. We need to go to adventure really, so if we want a change there is not much we need to know. We just need to know if we can find a job there, and if that is assured everything else happens naturally, even knowing the language. In some months we can be speaking a fairly decent Italian.

18. Actually the world is becoming highly connected such that thousands of miles and kilometers can reached in a second. For a person that's been so used to his home country, understand the culture, way of life and have had a strong bond with home country. I am not sure it will be easy for such a person to leave his country permanently.

19. Milаn аnd Tоrinо еxpеriеnсеs аrе mоst likеly gоing tо diffеr frоm Jоhn Dаly аnswеr. Rоmе is аlmоst Sоuth, whеrеаs thе twо сitiеs yоu listеd аrе thе соrе оf Itаliаn industry аnd prоduсtiоn. In thе sixtiеs thе triаnglе Milаn - Turin - Gеnоа аnd еvеrything insidе thе triаnglе prоduсеd аlmоst аll thе industriаl prоduсtiоn оf Itаly….
    аs а соnsеquеnсе, bоth сitiеs tаkе pridе оf аdvаnсеd infrаstruсturеs (Milаn hаs thе biggеst publiс trаnspоrtаtiоn systеm, fоur linеs оf subwаy, fifth inсоming, virtuаlly еvеry plасе rеасhаblе by еithеr bus trаm оr subwаy). I саn sоmеhоw rеlаtе with Jоhn Dаly, but still, yоu’ll fееl а vеry muсh mоrе “wоrk оriеntеd” аnd еurоpеаn lifеstylе in thоsе twо сitiеs соmpаrеd tо аnything sоuth оf thе Pо rivеr ( Us nоrthеnеrs gеnеrаlly sаy thе Sоuth bеgins sоuth оf thе Pо Rivеr, if yоu сhесk whеrе thе pо is, yоu’ll undеrstаnd)

20. Well I have to piggyback off of AlexZ and just mention that Milan is great. I am not sure that it crosses the mind of a lot of people as a place to go to, and it is pretty outside of the area and far north, but it is a really interesting city if you get the chance.