Veneto Wants To Become Independent

Adriano89

Community Member
May 21, 2013
Did you know about this? It's news to me.
It seems that the Venetians want to be come an independent country. Or, better said, they want to restore the independence of the Venetian Republic.
I have to be honest, I didn't know that Veneto was 'on its own' in the past, I always saw it as part of Italy.

Hmm... I have never heard of this either, and my nonna is from there! :oops: Of course I knew it was a city-state before the unification, but I looked it up and apparently the Venetian Republic existed for 1100 years as one of the world's first modern republics. The annexation by Italy made the region very poor and forced millions to leave for the Americas to make a living. I guess that's why my great-grandpa worked as a cowboy in California! Thanks for the new knowledge!

Before unification in 1861, the italian peninsula was a group of different states, each with different historical backgrounds. Therefore, it is true that Italy is a country which struggles with differences between regions, especially between the richer north and the poorer south. Anyway, only a minority of the population is serious about the request for independence, and it is unrealistic to see it happen in the foreseeable future.

Interesting. I come from Quebec, and we have a strong history of wanting independence, mostly because of how different the French part is from the rest of Canada, and how many times the English tried to screw us over and made us poor in our own province. As a stranger to Italy, I wonder what is the drive behind this wish for separation. Are the differences this big a gap? How do they even figure they'd keep a new country afloat in this bad economy? It's a bit strange to hear about, but I'm very curious to know more.

I also did not know that it was seperate but at the same time I can imagine that resources spent on other things could go on the preservation of Venice as the water is rising each year and the government have put into place a plan to stop the flooding but it has not been effective due to financial restraints. Perhaps they could change this if they were independant.