Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Using The Tfr As Pension Fund

Discussion in 'Employment' started by Rosie, Jul 26, 2013.

1. I had an interesting discussion with some people a few days ago.
    I'm not sure what to think though, things are confusing as it is, and they will surely continue to change in the future and maybe become even more confusing!

So, on one hand, you can keep your TFR (Trattatamento di Fine Rapporto) in the company you work with and, when you leave or when you retire, they are obliged to give it to you. If you work for 40 years, you will most likely receive at least 40,000 euros (it's a fictional example, I doubt many work for that long in one spot nowadays).

On the other hand, I learned that you can opt for using your TFR to contribute to your pension funds. So, instead of receiving the amount at the end of your contract, you'll receive it in installments, with your pension.

What do you think? Have you thought about this or were you clueless, as I was?

2. I don't live in Italy so my opinion is based on my personal feelings rather than direct experience. If I were a foreigner working in Italy I would prefer to have cash in my hand, to invest as I see fit. I could never be 100% sure I'd retire abroad.

3. Champers, you can still draw a pension from Italy if you live in another country. I've seen Italians who have moved here from Italy and because they worked in both countries they get pensions from both.

4. Yes, that's true, there are many Italians who opt to move abroad after they retire or foreigners who do the same. In some cases, this is a real plan, come to Italy (or some other country), work, gather money and get pension, them move back home, if you have something and someone to return too, of course.