Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Travel Scams

Discussion in 'Travel and Tourism In Italy' started by notyourcommodity, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Have you ever encountered a scam when you've been traveling?

The reason I ask is after I saw this article about a scam that took place in Rome:

Ripped off in Rome: A warning for tourists

I've never heard of this type of scam before - and I guess it's sad in a way that the world is like that these days - but I also figure there are bad people everywhere and sometimes you just have to keep your wits about you.

2. Oh wow, that's terrible! I've never encountered a scam before myself but it's important to raise awareness on these kind of situations. It's essential to be careful especially when traveling, especially with your personal items. You never know what you might encounter. Thanks for posting this article, very helpful.

3. Fortunately, I've never encountered these types of scams either, but I'm guessing that in the coming years, with the internet becoming a more and more popular way to book holidays then these type of scams are going to be more popular.

We all have to be wary when using the internet, and never more so than we're booking travel arrangements online.

4. Scams are everywhere, and the only where to avoid them is to do your research before hand so you know what the cost of things are before you arrive to a new location. The internet is useful for that and so are forums, but only from trusted members. Sadly tourist hot spots will be full of scams and over priced services and items, so you may have to sacrifice cost for convenience in some places.

5. Scams and conmen are going to operate where there's the most people, and that unfortunately is going to be in the main tourist areas of the country.

It doesn't just happen in Italy but in every country in the world, but what I think important is that it doesn't stop people from going to that region or area.

6. There have been lots of documented scams online, some involve beggars pickpocketing you, some involve fake tourists taking your money, and some even involve taxi cab drivers overcharging you by switching your money with a smaller amount. Before you go traveling around, you must be inform yourself of these common scams to better protect yourself. There are a lot of sources online, and a small drop of prevention is better than regretting it afterwards. Make sure to learn a bit of self defense in case you encounter a mugger, and always keep check your valuables, such as your wallet, passport, and important documents. Good luck!

7. I think that people are aware of the scams, and are obviously aware of the things they need to do not to fall victim to them, but when we're abroad and on holiday, we tend to let our guard down and that's understandable, were there to enjoy ourselves afterall.

That's what the scammers rely on though, and they also know that people aren't as vigilant on holiday, and that's why they're seen as easy targets. It's a scary situation but one that's hard to combat.