Traditional Dishes From The Emilia Romagna Region?

Rosie

Community Member
Apr 6, 2013
Italy
What are some traditional dishes from this region? :)
I live in this region now, but I have no idea which dishes are traditional...

I've seen this article on CNN, if you scroll down you'll see they have a few words written about "Tortellini with acacia flowers", but I've never heard of this food before in my life...

Does anyone have some examples of traditional dishes of the Emilia Romagna region? Besides the prosciutto di Parma, which is internationally famous (and yummy, by the way).

Linda

Community Member
May 20, 2013
Well, this region is famous for some dishes that include pasta, like tortellini, lasagna or tagliatelle. They are really good, but I'm sure you already tasted them :D

Polenta is also quite famous in Emilia Romagna.
What else... some meat products are also associated with this region, especially the proscuitto di parma, pancetta, coppa and salami of Piacenza, Bologna's mortadella and salame rosa and there's the zampone, cotechino and capello di prete from Modena. I'm sure you can find these at any supermarket or 'macelaio' :D

Rachel1970

Community Member
Apr 7, 2014
I've never eaten polenta. For some reason, when I think of polenta, semolina comes to mind!

How would I eat polenta? Is it savoury or sweet? I am interested to try it.

Simon

Community Member
Sep 10, 2007
Mantova, Italy
One traditional dish from Reggio Emilia (province in Emilia Romagna) is called Erbazzione. It’s basically a type of pie filled with spinach and lots of parmesan cheese.

It’s very popular and can be eaten hot or cold.

erb.jpg

Aurelia

Community Member
Nov 10, 2014
Sarajevo
One traditional dish from Reggio Emilia (province in Emilia Romagna) is called Erbazzione. It’s basically a type of pie filled with spinach and lots of parmesan cheese.

It’s very popular and can be eaten hot or cold.

View attachment 212

Oh, my! This looks like something my grandma would adore! Dishes like these, with spinach and such, are her all-time favourites! I must mention this to her. She'll be thrilled, I can already see. Is there anywhere I can get a good recipe for this dish? I know you can find them online, but unless you know what to look for, you can easily miss the right one.

Pessel

Community Member
Nov 9, 2014
OR
And that is not pizza, right? Looks too healthy to be a dessert, at first sight. Erbazzione looks suitable for people who like vegetables. I have never tasted it. But I like spinach, so it probably would taste good to me.

Hermann

Community Member
Nov 7, 2014
Erbazzone is the emilian equivalent of pub food, toghether with cold cuts, cheese and giardiniera pickles.