Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Tiramisu Without Coffee?

Discussion in 'Italian Food and Drink' started by Jane Carey, Jan 8, 2014.

1. I am putting together an Italian menu for a small party next week and would love to have go at making tiramisu. The only problem is that some of the guests don't like coffee in any form, which leads me here to ask if anyone knows of an alternative version of this lovely dessert.

2. I have had a chocolate version of tiramisu before, and it was really delicious. The chef did add alcohol, maybe rum? I am sure you could make it without if you needed to.

3. I agree with Champers. Go with a chocolate sauce instead of the coffee, although the coffee flavor is the best part of it. Let us know how it goes.

4. I am not usually a fan of desserts where the main ingredients have been switched out. However, in this case I think a chocolate version sounds delicious it really isn't tiramisu any longer.

5. Since I replied to this topic I have been dreaming of tiramisu! I will have to try to make some this weekend I think. Did you know that the word translates as 'pick me up', because of the coffee and chocolate it contains?

6. Oh, I'm so glad I saw this topic :) I'm an expert at improvising tiramisu recipes :D

My father can't stand coffee, my significant other can't stand alcohol in cakes.

So, what I do is, when I have to replace the coffee, I simply use cocoa! I make a strong cocoa and just dip the 'savoiardi' in cocoa, it's just as good! You can also just use the milk, but the cocoa gives it a nicer taste.
    Or, you can use Orzo, but that is similar to coffee's taste, so better just use cocoa.

And at the end, on top of it, just sprinkle cocoa powder :)

As for the alcohol, if anyone is interested, I just don't use any :D Tiramisu is just as good without alcohol, as long as the mascarpone cream is good, you'll make a great tiramisu to serve your guests :)