Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

The Order Of Words.

Discussion in 'Italian Language' started by ptahm22, Jan 29, 2017.

1. One of the more difficult things about learning Italian for me has been mastering the word order.
    It seems that Italian is similar enough to English (ie. SVO) that most grammar books don't feel they need to go into a lot of detail on the subject. Explanations I've found sum up the language as an example of SVO with the small exception of clitic pronouns. But I come across examples all the time that defy this explanation.
    "Oltre che ambizioni dovremmo essere anche pragmatici."

Here 's a predicative adjective followed by subject-verb fusion followed by another predicative adjective. You might see something like this in Shakespeare or a speech but this structure is very unnatural to modern spoken English.
    I think Italian has a slightly stronger "Tema / Rema" structure compared to English, which often uses the passive to emphasize a previously stated topic and rigorously enforces the svo word order.
    Are there any Italian experts out there that can share some insight on how Italian breaks from the SVO stucture?