Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Summer Jobs

Discussion in 'Employment' started by Adriano89, May 21, 2013.

1. Italy is quite famous in my home country for the possibility of travelling here and working for 2-3 months, having a summer job, and then returning home to your family.
    Any foreigners here who have tried this?

2. I did work during the summer, 3 or 4 years back, can't exactly remember. The salary was good, I only worked for 2 months but boy was I glad it's over!
    I worked at one of those tomato campaigns, you work in a factory, in shifts, you're dirty all the time, it's hot inside and it stinks.. it's gross!

3. Gosh, I did one of those campaigns myself, never again (I hope) :confused: :rolleyes:

Seasonal work is a great way to earn some fast cash, though.
    I think the majority of people who work at these factories that only open for 2-3 months a year are mostly students. They are either needing the money to pay for the University or they want to buy themselves a cheap car, clothes, electronic devices etc.

The timing couldn't be more perfect! The seasonal campaigns usually start in July, at the end of it, or in August. They last for 2-3 months and then you're done. Students are happy because they have enough time on their summer vacation to work, factory owners are happy because they have young strong people willing to work for money.

There are also jobless people willing to work a seasonal job as well. I have met quite a few myself . If there's nothing else out there to work, a short term job is just as good, at least they earn something!

From my knowledge, these 2 month jobs pay more than a regular job you work all year. I don't know why that is though, but it's good for whoever is looking for one.
    When I worked at one of these campaigns, I really needed to earn as much as possible because I had to pay for my next school year, pay for my car insurance AND buy food :p

4. There are lots of seasonal jobs offered in the summer months in Tourism too. Hotels, theme parks, beach resorts etc.
    Great for someone who is looking for work during the summer months only.

Personally, I work all year round so when August arrives I prefer to relax near the coast or in the mountains where the air is fresher.

5. I would love to stay in Italy for a couple of months and this sounds like a great way to be able to supplement the cost of it. I'm not sure how much I would like a hot, stinky tomato factory, but I have a background in hospitality, so maybe that would be a possibility.

6. Well, the smell is awful, but you get used to it after a while :)
    However, I think the job market right now is not doing so good, I've heard how even these seasonal jobs are hard to obtain, just last year there were thousands of people applying and so few got in.

I really hope things will get better soon though, these summer jobs mean a lot to students but also to their parents, who are either making their kids work so they can learn the value of money or they really can't afford to pay for their college tuition.

7. I've seen a few postings online about teaching at summer camps in Italy, with a focus on teaching English as a second language to Italian children. I think that the pay is decent, and from what I understand they provide you with room and board. I'm just not quite so keen about being out in the middle of the wilderness, I'm a city girl at heart!

8. #8 Pessel, Nov 11, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
    I've a few colleagues who are working there for some projects as translators and educators. The vast natural riches and great hospitality is appealing for artists and photographers. :) I think Italians are among the happiest people in the world, but for shopping or where to eat we do need to do a bit of a field research.

9. If only we'd have these summer jobs here. It's quite hard to get any kind of a job here, summer job or full-time job, it's hard. And even if you do get a full-time job, the conditions under which you have to work aren't that good, just like you described in that factory. However, summer jobs would be a good way for even myself to earn some money, since I am unemployed at the moment, and finding a job is nearly impossible.

10. Yes during the summer there seems to be a larger influx of tourists, because of the fine weather. There are most likely going to be openings for jobs in the hotels, guest houses, houses for lodgers and so on. Chances to secure a seasonal job in this hospitality sector during the summers are high.

11. I actually met a lot of people when I was over there who were there just working for the summer. It made me kind of jealous, but then kind of excited and thought that it would be pretty cool to be able to do it, and I am glad at least some people are getting to enjoy it.

12. I know quite a few people that have travelled to all over Europe and especially Italy to work during the summer, and while I do still think that people can still be able to find summer jobs over there in the future, I very much doubt that they are going to be as common as what they once was.

That can be said with any type of job in every country in the world though, not just Italy, so if you are going to go and find work, I'd double check before you go because the days of backpacking and working as and when you turn up are unfortunately a thing of the past I would have thought.

13. I do not actually know how the pay goes for these temporary summer jobs. If the pay for those in the agricultural group is fine then I don't think any serious minded person should complain much about the nature of the job especially for the fact it's temporary.