Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Some Interesting Names Of Towns In Italy.

Discussion in 'General Discussion About Italy' started by explorer, Feb 19, 2017.

1. There are some interesting towns that have strange names or may be quite funny names. I heard of cities like Angri, Bra, Force, Envie, None, Bastardo etc. I wonder why these towns have been named like this?

For example on hearing the name of Angri we may get a feeling that the residents of this place are short tempered. I guess it has nothing to do with the behavior of people living there or actual living conditions in these places. Can somebody throw more light on this.

AngelaMc likes this.
  2. Bastardo for example is the name of an Industrial Town in Umbria Italy. It produces a lot of Olive Oil and Wheat. It owes its name to to an Inn, which was established by an outsider in the 17th century, which locals called Osteria del Bastardo (The Bastards Inn). And therefore the name stuck.:)