San Lorenzo And Shooting Stars

Chillout

Community Member
Sep 10, 2007
Mantova, Italy
The tradition states that on August 10th - San Lorenzo, each year shooting stars are at their peak activity.

The shooting stars can normally be seen from the end of July until Aug 20th but the peak is usually on the 10th August. Due to astral adjustments this year, they say that the peak will be on the 12th August.

They say that during the peak, the rate of meteors reaches 60 or more per hour. That's an impressive show!

Have you seen any so far?

Yesterday I was on a field outside the lights of the city with some friends :).
I saw 3 shooting stars, the others even some more...and after that an Icecream (Gelato) for everyone ;)

Well, if you have the time and a twitter account it seems that you can even post your wishes on Twitter thanks to a new initiative launched by Italy's National Astrophysics Institute (Inaf). Users who have seen a shooting star will be able to express their heart's desire on the Internet, linking them collectively by using the hashtag #stellacadente.

I think I'd rather stick to Gelato!

Reactions: Luca
Crap! Sorry for using bad words, but it's the 20th of August and I saw this thread just now.

Perfect! It means I missed it all! Again... same thing happened last year.
I always forget about these things, and they even announce it on the news.
Last year, if i remember correctly, there was a comet or star or whatever that was supposed to come pretty close to Earth, so it was visible for the naked eye. I missed that too, of course, because I fell asleep.

Did anyone see the shooting stars?