Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Rocca Flea

Discussion in 'Umbria' started by Aurelia, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Well, being a castle enthusiast, I have looked this one up and found that I liked the architecture, so here it is:
    Rocca Flea (which is Italian for Flea Castle) is a fortification in central Italy (exact location: Gualdo Tadino, Umbria). It is a hillfort - on the upper part of the hill, just by the nearby town.

The architecture seems intact. I'd not visited it, but I certainly plan on doing it. The history is very interesting, though: It could be as old as 13th century, which puts its construction to sometime during the Lombard period - built and rebuilt, then again, renovated, it had changed over time and I bet you can notice these variations. In 1350, they added the central keep, which was one of the last big improvements. During the Renaissance era, it was a patrician residence, but later on, around 1880, it was turned into prison.

If they'd kept all of these remnants of the past, it would truly be amazing. Now there's a cceramics museum and a historical exhibition. I wonder what kind of artifacts they have...
    If nothing else, I'd visit it because of its architectural beauty!