Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Prato And Villa Medicea Di Poggio A Caiano

Discussion in 'Prato' started by Regina Juno, May 1, 2015.

1. Prato is not talked about as much as other cities in Tuscany, but it has some classic old world architecture. Prato is the location for Villa Medicea di Poggio a Caiano. This is Lorenzo the Magnificent's beautiful summer palace, and it is the basis for every country house ever built. The home for it's time was revolutionary - a beautiful home not a fortress. It's filled with light and vistas from every room. The frescoes, furniture and silk wall coverings are lovely.

2. I did not see a picture attached to your post. So thought, I would add Medici villa in Poggio a Caiano
    By the way, the Medici family is an interesting family, indeed. Lorenzo's contribution to the art world is quite magnificent, too.

f67b12ca282db3602a5a4b268bc637c0.jpg

4c9b45ffc6605aa4670c5ed68d251683.jpg

From Wikipedia, "The Adoration of the Magi includes several generations of the family and their retainers. Sixteen-year-old Lorenzo is to the left, with his horse, prior for his departure on a diplomatic mission to Milan."

When I think about this family, my first thought goes to the Laurentian Library. Not only does the history of this library catch my attention, but between this staircase and all the old manuscripts, I could spend hours here!

b88fb02eb459adbcf4dec576be552e45.jpg