Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Pasta With Brussels Sprouts & Guanciale

Discussion in 'Italian Recipes' started by Kitty Reeves, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Ingredients:
    1 Pound Pasta Of Choice (See Notes Above)
    2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
    4 Ounces Diced Guanciale or Pancetta
    3 Garlic Cloves, Peeled & Thinly Sliced
    1/2 Teaspoon Red Chili Flakes
    3/4 Pound Brussels Sprouts, Trimmed & Thinly Sliced
    Salt & Pepper To Taste
    1/2 Cup Fresh Parsley Leaves
    Juice of 1/2 Lemon
    To Serve:
    Grated Pecorino Romano Cheese

Directions:
    Put a large pot of lightly salted water on to boil.
    In a frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat, and then cook the guanciale or pancetta until lightly browned, about 3 to 4 minutes.
    Add the garlic and chili flakes and cook an additional minute or two until fragrant.
    Add the sliced Brussels sprouts and add 1/8 of a cup or so of water.
    Toss the sprouts with the other ingredients and continue to cook just until the sprouts begin to soften, about 2 minutes.
    Cook the pasta until it is “al dente”, then drain and reserve a small cup of the pasta water.
    Return the pasta to the pot along with the Brussels sprout mixture, the parsley leaves and a squeeze of lemon juice.
    Cook for a minute or two over high heat, tossing to mix well, until the mixture is piping hot.
    If the pasta seems dry, add a little of the pasta water.
    Serve, passing the grated cheese at the table.

1d791564411d8b23aca246842ee578e9.jpg

2. I am definitely going to try this out this week. I will post pictures!

3. Cheese with Aglio e Olio no, please.
    Try toasted breadcrumbs instead of Romano.

4. This looks really good. Thanks for the recipe. I am a huge fan of Brussels sprouts and am always looking for new ways to cook it.

5. I also love trying out new recipes - I used to hate brussels sprouts as a kid but now as an adult I quite enjoy them when they're roasted -- I think I would enjoy this recipe! Pancetta and the sprouts would make a great combination, I think!