Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Music - A Good Way To Learn Italian

Discussion in 'Italian Language' started by Rosie, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Today I was thinking about a friend of mine and a thought popped into my head: he said that he learned English by listening to music. In the same matter, one can learn Italian by listening to music!

There are so many famous Italian singers, there's no way you can't listen to their music and not learn the lyrics. After you already 'guess' the lyrics, you can start learning their meaning :)

It's a great and fun way to learn Italian, don't you think?

Chillout and yeganeh like this.
  2. yes i'm agree with your friend.i wanna learn italian so i listen to laura pausini and gigi.its so good:)

Chillout likes this.
  3. I really agree with this, music is a language on its own and acts as a bridge to learning the lyrics.

I remember when I could not understand Italian and was listening to a local southern Italian group singing in dialect.

It was the song that attracted me and then I was curious to understand what they were singing about.

4. As a music student and self-confessed language nerd, I would have to agree. I remember whenever I was revising for an oral exam back in school I would listen to pop music in French or Spanish (those were the languages I studied at school). I don't really know much Italian music though, apart from Italian opera. Singing classical music in Italian has definitely helped my pronunciation skills though!

5. Great advice! Do you recommend specific artists that are easy to understand/sing slowly enough to catch on? Thanks!

6. I agree. It jus't like when you can learn a language just by getting along with natives. You can understand things much better when you get more and more in touch with them and listening is no exception. Not only music, movies also apply here! And without subtitles!

7. I never thought about using songs to practice my Italian. I just recently began studying Italian again online, and was looking for some new ideas and techniques outside of the internet that would improve my Italian. I was thinking about possible watching movies as well or listening to the Italian radio, however my ear is still not well trained enough to understand fast paced Italian speakers. I'm definitely going to try this out though. I hope it works!

8. Hi hill, welcome to the forums! :)

Yes, listening to music is one of the best ways to learn a new language, you hear the same words over and over again, you can even sing along after a while and you can always use an online translator to find out what the lyrics mean.

Just as a piece of advice... choose music you like, so you'll enjoy listening to the lyrics :D

9. Yes, I agree with music as an effective way to learn Italian. The Italian language is very rich in accents and it matches music well. Music will help you understand some of the intonations. I took a very short class on the Italian language back in college and I do remember that listening to an Italian song was the very first thing we did in the class.

10. I must admit I believe this an excellent idea. I don't speak Italian, unfortunately (though I am hoping to find the motivation to start learning), but I do listen to Italian music. There's this song, Adagio, originally written by Lara Fabian (it was a classical piece until she put it into words), half in English, half Italian. When I'd heard Katherine Jenkins sing it... I was enchanted. I had listened to this song so much that I know it by heart - in both languages. It's a good way of practicing vocabulary, definitely, and it's not even that difficult to sing along. I have also liked some songs by Emma Shapplin, in particular Spente le Stelle and some others. The song is beautiful - both in words and the music.

This could be useful for those of you who plan on following the advice.

11. I've studied a number of languages (sadly not Italian just yet) and I have to say that I agree, music is a great way to learn any language, but only from a certain point on, I mean, we will not learn much if we just start to listen to songs, we need to study hard before we actually understand them.

12. I think this is a wonderful idea to make learning Italian quite easy and happening. I think it is one of the best creative method to learn Italian language. I will definitely try it out as my knowledge on Italian language is quite basic. I am sure I will be able to improve by using your technique.

13. Well naturally, you need to understand the basics of the language before you attempt this, but the more you listen, the more you make connections, especially if you have lyrics in English at hand. This method is more for vocabulary building, I believe, than helping you really learn the language - but there must be other props. There are so many TV shows in Italian (Det. Montelbano, RIS Rome, Antimafia Squad...). Watching them can also be very helpful.

14. That's true, I find particularly useful to watch shows in the native language (Italian in the case) that have subtitles in my language or in a language I know, we manage to apprehend the language structure and the sonority as well.

15. Yes, I remember now. :) The professor who taught me Spanish in college gave the class songs to study and we had to learn in groups and perform. It was really fun. It helped me stay interested in the language for the entire two semesters. I particularly like the method, but I needed more, so I think I also watched film to learn the language. :rolleyes: I thought the subtitles were really helpful, especially because I watched the films in film festivals and movie screenings.

My other method is using post-its and small language games. I totally forgot who suggested the games. Maybe it was part of the sessions. One game was writing down the names of things in a foreign language and then sticking the post-its on the objects for a few days until the term sticks. ;) Learning a new language and then getting back to it is kind of like a déjà vu for me.

16. A number of operas are sung in Italian. I have always longed to see one. If Maria Callas was still alive, I'd be willing to spend a hefty sum just to watch her perform. Anyhow, although I often listen to Verdi's compositions, I am yet to hear a modern Italian song. Thus, I can't say for sure whether listening to one will accelerate my understanding of the language. I am willing to try the Rosetta Stone and see if this particular program will be of any help.

17. Of course, do try. It may help, and I don't really believe it can do harm in any way, so why not? You can only benefit from it. Do try Livemocha as well. It may be of use.

Verdi is my favourite composer as well, ever since I was sixth grade of elementary school and a teacher took us to the cinema to watch a movie about him. That was when I fell in love with his music. From his early opus I like Nabucco the most - everything is just perfect there. I want to listen to his Macbeth and Giovanna d'Arco, but somehow, I keep postponing that - I wonder for how long I'll keep doing that. From his middle years, I definitely like Rigoletto and La Traviata - these are two masterpieces which every single person should listen to at least once - the're simply too beautiful not to be heard. Besides, they're world-known works - it's a part of the cultural education. I like Aida too (one of his later works). Falstaff sounds intriguing, but that too is still on my watch list. And of course, Othello. I wonder how he managed to do Shakespeare's works. That must have been a challenge.

18. I love Verdi as well Aurelia, he's a really strong composer. Sadly I don't recall the names of his compositions, but I have present his unique tone, his abrupt changes, it's like heaven on earth. Still talking about classic music, no composition is more famous than the Four Seasons from Vivaldi though.

19. Absolutely, there's no question about that. When it comes to the Four Seasons, Winter is my favourite. I can listen to it for hours! It's pure perfection. Rossini is also a great composer, though I've only listened to his The Barber of Seville. It's my mother's favourite. That's more her style than mine.

Albinoni is also not bad - especially his Adagio in G minor which had been the instrumental for many modern versions (I've mentioned Lara Fabian and Katherine Jenkins). That song has such romantic tones that it's simply unforgettable. Once you've heard it, you'll always remember it - not in the sense you remember all the great works, of course, but you will hold it dear. I do.

When it comes to operas, though, perhaps the greatest after Verdi is Puccini - La bohème and Madame Butterfly are the obvious choice. Donizetti is also very good - I liked his Lucia di Lammermoor, not completely, of course, but I liked it, especially after reading Sir Walter Scott's the Bride of Lammermoor.

All of these are so beautiful you must listen to them (if you haven't already, and I believe that you have, being interested in the classical music as you are).

20. I started with singing little nursery rhymes for kids (testa, spalle, ginocchia piedi, ginocchia piedi, ginocchia piedi!) and I grew to checking out my favorite Disney songs on Youtube (this often led to me watching the movies in Italian!)

I was listening later on some Eros Ramazzotti. Because his lyrics are pretty straight-forward, simple to translate and to remember. And a few songs of Andrea Boccelli! They ARE catchy, if sometimes cheesy!