Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Featured Milan

Discussion in 'Milan' started by TuttoItaly, Jun 1, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Milan is one of Italy's great cities, famous for being Italy's second largest city, after Rome, and for a lot of other interesting things.

First of all, Milan is considered to be the fashion center of the world. Gucci, Armani, Versace, Prada, D&G all have their headquarters here, in Milan. Of course, as you have guessed, it's also one of the most expensive cities of the world. To convince yourself, you can visit Milan's fashion district, considered to be one of the world's major fashion districts.

You can't think of Milan without thinking of the famous Milan Cathedral, Duomo di Milano. This particular cathedral took almost 6 centuries to complete and it's the largest Cathedral in Italy. If you compare it to the rest of the world, it's the 5th largest so it is definitely a spectacular place worth visiting.

If you're interested to see great artwork, you could visit the Church of Santa Maria della Grazie. Here you can admire the very famous painting by Leonardo da Vinci, The Last Supper.

Milan is also famous for having Europe's largest opera house, Teatro alla Scala. It's the best Ballet and Opera theater in the whole world and it held a large number of world premieres, such as Nabucco and Otello, by Giuseppe Verdi, in the 1800's or Madama Butterfly, by Giacomo Puccini, in 1904. Also, if you're interested in having a genuine Italian coffee, you can visit the city's chicest cafes, near the Theater. Caffee Cova is Italy's oldest coffeehouse so you'll practically have a taste of Italy's history.

Another interesting fact about Milan is that, due to massive immigration over the years, it is currently the most multi-cultural city in Italy. Milan even has it's own Chinatown, starting with the 1920's. There are also a few English schools in Milan, for kids from the English-speaking communities to study in.

If you're looking for more places to visit in Milan, you shouldn't miss the Sforza Castle. It used to be the residence of the Duchy of Milan but nowadays it houses a few of the city's museums and art collections. Here you can visit The Pinacoteca del Castello Sforzesco which holds a few world famous masterpieces and art collections, the Museum of Ancient Art, which has Michelangelo's last sculpture from 1564. You can also visit the Egyptian Museum or the Archaeological Museum.

You can't leave Milan without having a taste of the Milanese cuisine, which is famous for it's diversity, given the many influences over the years. The cotoletta alla milanese or the cassoeula are known to be among the most famous milanese dishes.

As you can see, Milan has a lot of great things to offer. There's always something you can do here, one thing you may no have known is that, even if you're not in Venice, you can still experience a cruise on the still waters.

Milan is definitely worth visiting. Whether you're interested in museums and art galleries, do a little shopping in Milan's fashion district or even support your favorite football team at the San Siro Stadium, Milan is the place to be.

2. I haven't been here yet, but its at the top of my list. It loos absolutely breathtakingly beautiful! I would love to visit there and soon!

3. I have yet to go to Milan but it looks fabulous. It looks deeply romantic as well. Guess I will have to wait for the right time to play the Milan card ;)

4. I haven't been to Milan yet, but right now it's the city that I'd like to visit the most in Italy. The only thing that worries me is that I've heard that everything is kind of expensive there, is that true? I mean, I understand that the fashion district HAS to be expensive, but I'm talking things like public transit, food, accomodation and so on.

5. I have only been to Milan once. And I went there by chance. My friend and I just had to go somewhere for a city break and what we did was we took a map of Italy and I closed my eyes and put my finger on the map. It was Milan that I blindly chose :D

So, we bought train tickets (didn't have a car yet) and went to visit Milan.

It was quite interesting. It's a very large city and it's beautiful as well.
    We got off the train and headed towards... nowhere, actually, but ended up in the metro station.

We took the metro and ended up below the Duomo of Milan :D We walked a bit to see the area. The cathedral is a MUST SEE, you keep hearing about how beautiful and big it is but, trust me, when you see it with your own eyes you'll be truly amazed.

Anyway, there are many great things to see and do in Milan so I totally recommend to go visit it :)

6. I briefly visited Milan when I was heading to Naples. Someday I want to go back to Italy and stay in Rome or Milan so that I can explore the area more. Italy was beautiful to begin with and when I had visited Milan I was hooked even more. I'd love to see the fashion district because I love clothes and accessories. What better way to see what's going to be a new trend then to visit a fashion capital.

7. It's one of my favorite cities. I even took the underground to reach the Duomo and the Sforza Palace nearby. I thought that the city center with its dramatic buildings must be one of the most beautiful city centers in Europe. There is just an eternal glamor and elegance in Milan, like an immortal goddess, so to speak!