Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Milan Limiting Daytime Traffic To Battle Smog

Discussion in 'Current Affairs In Italy' started by notyourcommodity, Dec 29, 2015.

1. I read an article just a couple of days ago, about Milan taking some pretty drastic measures to try and decrease smog levels in the city. Here's a snippet from the article I read:

Drivers in Milan will face a limit on daytime travel three days next week as the northern Italian city tries to bring air pollution down from dangerous levels.

No cars, motorcycles or scooters will be allowed on the streets of the city of 1.3 million inhabitants from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm (0900 to 1500 GMT) on Monday through Wednesday, city officials said.

What do you think about this sort of initiative? I can't imagine how that would impact people - I do imagine for people working a 9 to 5 then it wouldn't be too bad, since you'd already be at work before the limits and heading home after them, but I can't say I'd ever heard of any cities here doing that!

2. Well, I think it is good they are taking positive steps to combat the problem. it doesn't seem like it would work, but maybe it will work for them. I don't know. It might end up being a good idea.

3. Well, to me that seems pretty much unreal. Not everyone works their daily jobs from 9 to 5. Some people do actually spend their day bouncing around the city. However, the project is good. I approve it. If the public transport is able to provide high-quality transfers, so why not use it?

4. I can see this happening in a number of other cities also to be honest as more and more countries are concerned about the environmental impact they're making.

While this is a good idea, I think more people would be quite happy to use public transport if it was cleaner to use and more reliable. Governments need to address that issue before they start dictating when and where people can use their vehicles in my opinion.

5. Did they manage to achieve any success with that or not? I can't find any info on that. Would you guys help me?

6. I can't find anything either but I'm sure it was successful because every second counts. Limiting daytime driving for three days can help, it might not help a lot but it still helps. In the sense that it's better to do this than to not do anything at all.

7. The story does seem to have gone a little quiet to be honest so maybe it's still an option that they're looking into rather than a definite plan that they are going ahead with?

I'd imagine that it would be quite hard to enforce also, so they'd have to look at that aswell.

8. That should be the rule number one in every big city of the world. We are facing a massive environmental problem that will explode in twenty or thirty years and we are not doing anything to solve it.

9. I think governments now are starting to recognise the fact that it's an issue that we need to start resolving, but I don't know why it's taken this long.

Limiting traffic in the big cities is going to take some time, so even if the plans are put in place now, it's going to be a number of years at least before we see the benefits.