Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Medieval Towns

Discussion in 'General Discussion About Italy' started by Justina, Sep 29, 2011.

1. I read that Abruzzo retains the medieval look. Do all the towns look like this? Are there towns that are more medieval than others? I love the sinister charm of these old towns.

2. Have you ever heard of Valle Piola? That is something on the list for me to visit, maybe one day. A friend of mine had a medieval wedding and it was amazing, thats what first got me hooked on wanting to visit real places overseas, so much history, not enough vacation time!

3. Wow. That's really cool. A medieval wedding! I didn't think of that. Italy would be the perfect spot for one. I have not heard of Valle Piola but I am certainly going to research it!

4. hey, it has plenty of old charm. Valle Piola is a ancient Italian mountain village and is a deserted village in the province of Teramo, in the Abruzzo region of central Italy

5. if you like medieval sites, you must visit the Palazzaccio di Strettura. the 700 is a medieval castle where you can sleep on the cheap. At 500 meters from the castle there is a restaurant with typical Umbrian cuisine and seafood.
    must see!

6. I kind of got used to this type of architecture. I was very fascinated at first because it was for the first time that I walked by medieval buildings, not to mention I slept in one!
    Now they are something normal to me, I actually would be stunned to see a very modern structure, for example.

7. I think that these Medieval towns still exist. I went to Sicily a few years back. We traveled around the northern part (I forgot the names of the exact places!). However the towns were very old looking like they dated back to the Medieval era. All the roads were too small for even Italian cars to fit down and everything was made of stone and into the mountain. I need to do some research to find out the name of this place but I've never seen such a beautiful place!

8. Most medieval towns do exist, however, what state they are in is another matter. Most cities had the funds to keep up with repairs and to preserve things, but out in the smaller places you will find ruins, parts of buildings with a sign saying what it once was and churches with holes in the roof. I saw one and I was heartbroken by the damp that had damaged the frescoes, but Italy doesn't have the funds to save everything sadly.

9. I think you'll often find that the smaller towns and villages, the ones that haven't been ruined by tourism, will still have kept their original charm.

Italy seems to be one of only a few countries in Europe these days that have been able to keep their towns as they should be, and they haven't all sold out to the tourist industry.

10. I think you'll find that quite a few small towns still carry this medieval look. It's just the big cities that feels the need to look modern to attract tourists that have changed. I personal prefer the original looks after all, a country is only as good as its history.

11. Barberino Val d’Elsa is a beautiful medieval town located in the Chianti area. It is enclosed by ancient walls and the town retains the original plan characterized by the main street connecting the two gate towers, the Porta Fiorentina and the Porta Romana.