Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Learning Dialects?

Discussion in 'Italian Language' started by Grybukas, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Besides learning Italian, are you learning any dialect?

Where we live there are different communities from various places in Italy. Besides speaking Italian, local dialects are commonly used.

In addition to learning from the people who speak it - do you know any good resources to learn a few words in the various dialects of Italy?

2. After living in Italy for over 10 years, I have picked up most of the dialect Mantovano. (I say most but there are always new words every now and again)

I have never seen a book that will teach you any dialect as its pretty much a hands on approach.

I'm sure there must be some online sources for the popular dialects but unless you actually live in Italy, you will most likely never need to speak it.

3. I have never learned any special dialect from the Italian language but I would kindly ask you to inform us about the different dialects in the North-East of Italy. I am asking because I am living in Austria in the near of the border to Italy. I can not remember that I have recognized some differences between Tarvis and Lignano for example.

4. Here is a map and a list of locations showing a partial list of the various dialects of Italy that may or may not be correct.
    Of course, others with first hand experience will be better informed to answer your question.

02db7beaa9cc018798e1cdda66df764b.jpg

Different Italian Dialects Found Around Italy

edustadar001 and Chillout like this.
  5. The dialect in the northeastern edge is called Friulano, or Furlàn.
    Ladino is a neolatin language spoken by a minority scattered between Trentino and Veneto.

6. #6 Chillout, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    Dialects change in every province and most Italians that visit a different province are unable to understand the local dialect.

For example, this is a short video in Barese (Puglia):

The Puglia region is made up of 6 provinces so there is most likely to be 6 different dialects.

sallymarie likes this.
  7. Thanks for the map. It is very informative. I know that for example the dialect on Sardinia (Sardo) is not easy to understand for some other Italians. About 6 years before I made my first Italian language course in Austria for about more than one month and our teacher was living some years in Sassari (Sardinia). She told us a lot of different things about Sardinia (99% good things).

8. Some samples:
    Friulano dialect

And Venetian

Chillout and sallymarie like this.
  9. Lombardo dialect

Milanese

sallymarie likes this.
  10. Ligurian

Emilian

11. Last of the northern group
    Piemontese

And Romagnolo-Bolognese

12. Your welcome. Appears others have more first hand knowledge, but I did enjoy looking into this subject more. Actually spent a good hour or so enjoying myself. I was like where did the time go? lol Anyways, it was interesting to learn the evolution and events of the Italian language. Kind of reminded me (and actually got sidetracked looking into the Appalachian Mountain area here in the U.S. as I just drove through it recently. Felt like I was in the middle of no where. Well, one thing is for sure it was hilly and windy and the clouds were below us with no connection to a highway for hours. Anyways the dialect history in this region was another fascinating read, too. I mention this because this region similar to Sardinia is as I just described a bit isolated and the influence of early immigrants (Scottish, Irish, etc) remained.

In regards to the dialect in Sassari and phonetic features. Found this to be a lengthy, informative summary.
    Sardinian language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How fortunate that you had a teacher from the Sassari - Sardinia island area of Italy. Sure we would all like to hear your stories. Gonna post the link to this forum for Sassari for you in hopes that you do share some of these stories! ;)
    Sassari | Tutto Italy

13. I don't know if there are many resources about italian dialects. I know that there might be quite a good amount of things online about dialect from Napels and Rome but I don't really know the others. Surely there isn't pretty much anything about mine which is the one from Trentino. By the way to learn dialect you should really go the place where the people speak it because as definition the dialect it's a language that it isn't written.

14. For some people, just learning the Italian language is hard enough, without having to try and get the actual dialect right aswell. I wasn't even sure if it's something that you can learn, to be honest. I always just thought that a dialect is something that you just naturally pick up by living in that particular region for a certain amount of time.

15. No, I'm not actually learning this. The general Italian language is pretty complicated and complex itself, so why learn even more diffucult stuff that's not normally in use? Of course, If you don't live somwhere as a permanent resedent.

16. One of my friends speaks Italian. She learned it in school. She tells me when she goes to visit her family in Southern Italy she cannot understand them. They use their own dialect which is completely different from proper Italian.

17. Having traveled around Italy dialects do vary and it would be impossible to learn all of them. Some are very rural and local to the area, but most people will understand 'standard' Italian. I studied in Tuscany, so my Italian was Tuscan, which I noticed more when I traveled to the South. Many people didn't understand me, and I struggled, so I ended up writing words down (easier) and emphasized a few key words that people would understand to get my message across.

18. Yes, I heard that someone speaking a southern dialect has a very hard time understanding someone who speaks a northern dialect. I guess this is similar to 'accents' and different words used in different areas of the US. However, I find it interesting that Italians have a difficult time understanding different dialects. I feel like I don't have a difficult time understanding someone from a different part of the us.

19. That can be an issue here in the UK sometimes I must admit. The accent in some parts of the country is that strong that people do often have to repeat themselves or speak slowly just to make themselves understood.

20. Its not just accents, italian dialects are languages on their own, each with a literacy, poetry, theater, sometimes even cinema.
    Best example 2008 movie Gomorra, actors spoke in a close neapolitan language and it was subtitled for non neapolitans.

Trying to read a book in genoan dialect, kind of a comedy in verses, but i'm having real difficulties, even if Genova is just 125 miles from home.
    Reading a catalan newspaper in Spain was easier.