Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Job layoffs

Discussion in 'Employment' started by Machida, May 31, 2009.

1. Job layoffs

In my country, most of the companies are having some mass job layoffs. I am thinking of going to Italy to find some job. Are you having some problem with people loosing their jobs there?

2. If you are thinking of moving to Italy just to find work my advice would be to stay where you are until the situation improves.

Italy employment situation has been a mess for years. Even before this global recession!

Italy never had many positions to offer before this global ‘crazy’ and now with it the country is in a very bad way.

For those that listen to the premiuer ‘Silvio Belusconi’ he has said that the crazy is over, but i would take anything this man says with a pinch of salt as to my knowledge it is far from over.

Many people that i know here have lost their jobs or are doing ‘cassa intergrazione’ which is when a company is unable to provide the normal working hours to an employee they forse them to stay at home for a period of time which is paid 80% of their wages by the government. This can only be paid for for a maxium of 52 weeks then the company can make you redundant.

One friend of mine is only working 2 days out of 5 in a week.

It all depends on what type of employment contract you have. Italy has a large workforce in 'Nero' (black market) which means that many do not even have contracts so have no right to anything should they lose their job. Even if one has lost the job just recently they must of paid at least 2 years of tax before they can claim unemployment benefit.

I really hope that the situation improves as fast as possible but the sad fact is that it will take many years to rebuild the economy again.

3. You might be able to find something in the ads online, if you do a search. I know it can be hard finding a job, but I am sure you will find something, good luck.

4. I'm afraid it's bad all over because of the economy. I don't think there's anywhere in the world that isn't affected by the current state of affairs, financially speaking.

5. Wow, so it is hard to find a job at Italy, that would be bad cause we would move to Italy next month hope that things would be good when we would move there next month.

6. Re: Job layoffs

Thanks for the reply!

I have decided that I will not go to Italy to find some employment as I have found out that I could make money from my own home though blogging.

7. Re: Job layoffs

I think moving to Italy just to find employment would be a bad move unless you have a pretty large network of people to help you out. More than likely you have a larger network where you are now, so I would try tapping into that first.