Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Italian Seafood Salad

Discussion in 'Italian Recipes' started by Kitty Reeves, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Ingredients
    1 tablespoon Old Bay seasoning
    Kosher salt
    1 1/2 pounds (16- to 20-count) peeled and deveined shrimp
    1 1/2 cups dry white wine
    1 pound sea scallops, halved crosswise
    1 pound cleaned fresh calamari, sliced crosswise in 1/2-inch-thick rings
    2 pounds fresh mussels
    1/2 cup good olive oil
    4 teaspoons minced garlic (4 cloves)
    2 teaspoons dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    3 plum tomatoes, seeds and pulp removed and medium-diced
    1/3 cup limoncello liqueur
    Grated zest of 1 lemon
    1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons)
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1 small fennel bulb, trimmed, cored, and thinly sliced crosswise
    1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, lightly packed
    2 lemons

Directions
    Fill a large pot with 3 quarts of water and add the Old Bay seasoning and 1 tablespoon of salt. Bring to a boil, add the shrimp, lower the heat, and simmer for 3 minutes, until just firm. With a skimmer or slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to a large bowl. Leave 2 cups of the poaching liquid in the pot and discard the rest.

Add the wine to the poaching liquid and bring to a boil. Add the scallops, lower the heat, and simmer for 2 minutes, until just cooked. With the skimmer, transfer the scallops to the bowl with the shrimp. Bring the poaching liquid back to a boil, add the calamari, and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, until just cooked. Be careful not to overcook any of the seafood or it will be tough! With the skimmer, transfer the calamari to the bowl.

Bring the poaching liquid to a boil again, add the mussels, cover, and simmer for 4 to 5 minutes, until all the shells have opened, discarding any that don't open. Turn off the heat and set aside until the mussels in the broth are cool enough to handle. Remove the mussels from the shells and add to the bowl. Add 12 of the shells to the seafood and discard the rest. Set aside 1/2 cup of the poaching liquid, discarding the rest. Drain the seafood in a colander and put it all back into the bowl.

For the dressing, heat the olive oil in a medium (10-inch) saute pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute. (Be careful: Overcooked garlic will be bitter.) Add the tomatoes and cook over medium heat for 2 more minutes. Add the reserved poaching liquid, the limoncello, lemon zest, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper and cook for 1 more minute. Pour the sauce over the seafood and toss gently. Add the fennel and parsley. Cut a lemon in half lengthwise, cut it thinly crosswise, and add it to the salad. Toss gently to combine and cover with plastic wrap. Chill for at least 3 hours or overnight.

To serve, sprinkle with 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, and the juice of the remaining lemon. Taste for seasonings and serve cold or at room temperature.

7213b5f701ea922e68f5685e3b9a1dcc.jpeg

to7update likes this.
  2. I love seafood salad, but I have to admit, I am so bad at making it. We have it every Christmas eve as part of the 7 fish. I usually end up just buying it from a local Italian restraint. Hopefully I will be able to make this recipe and have it taste similar to the salad I buy every year.

3. I'm not the biggest seafood fan (I usually just eat fish, and not super "fishy" tasting fish) but my husband adores seafood and this looks like something that would be right up his alley. A lot of my extended family are big fans of seafood too, so I would probably make this for them to enjoy for a family get together or something!

4. Once again we seem to share the same tastes as I also love a good seafood salad. You have the twist here of being an Italian seafood salad, so let me analyze the ingredients well... I need to try it as I am used to see more vegetables or even fruits in a seafood salad, but definitely looks good, so thank you for another great share.

5. This recipe both looks and sounds heavenly. It is only a short taste of true heaven. I cannot wait to try it out in my very own kitchen tomorrow night with my mother.

6. That sounds quite delicious if I do say so myself. Italy really had some very quality seafood when I was over there, and I am pretty sure that we were not even in the places known for the seafood, so that might be saying something.

7. This is a very nutritious meal out there. A lot of rich ingredients for the preparation. I am a big fan of meals rich in sea foods a very good source of the quality oil and proteins for the body.