Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Italian Proverbs And Their Meaning

Discussion in 'Italian Language' started by Rosie, Dec 17, 2014.

1. All languages have their own sayings and proverbs, right?
    Well, there are a few proverbs in Italian that are very similar to their equivalent in English :)
    Here are some examples I picked up in the last few years (I think some of my Italian friends might hate me for asking what did they mean by saying these things.... :D I must be the most annoying friend for them!)

1. A ogni uccello il suo nido è bello - this is the equivalent of "There's no place like home", and it literally translates to "To every bird, their nest is beautiful".

2. Acqua passata non macina più - this means "Water under the bridge". And it translates like this: "The water already passed doesn't grind anymore".

3. O mangiar questa minestra o saltar questa finestra - means "Take it or leave it". In translation, it sounds like this: "Either eat this soup, or jump out the window". Ok, this one's pretty weird but it rhymes in Italian, so I guess that's why they use the threat.. haha!

4. Far d'una mosca un elefante - means "to not make a big deal out of it". The deal being the elephant, and the "it" being the fly. So, don't make an elephant out of the fly.