Italian Mobsters On Film And T.v.

dannyboy

Community Member
Jul 7, 2013
I wanted to pose this issue to the people on this forum, especially those who are Italian or of Italian descent. What has been your general feeling on shows and films that have shown Italians engaging in organized crime? Movies like the Godfather and Goodfellas. Shows like the Sopranos. Do you like these shows? Do you feel they portray Italians in a negative light and are stereotypical? I would be very interested to hear your thoughts!

IMO the movies are not a problem.
The problem is when someone think: You are Italian so you are a Mobster.
No one think at all Japanese as members of the Yakuza..

IMO the movies are not a problem.
The problem is when someone think: You are Italian so you are a Mobster.
No one think at all Japanese as members of the Yakuza..
You are right. It really comes down to everyone's personal prejudice. If a person is naturally a bigot, then will assume the worst about someone.

I love The Godfather, but I'm far from assuming that every Italian person is a member of the mafia :D I don't think mafia-themed TV shows, books and films influenced the way I see Italy.
After all, organized crime is something that happens in every country.

I don't believe that people think every American is a cowboy or every Irishman a member of the IRA because of films, so why should they think every Italian is a member of the Mafia? Films are only stories.

what ???

Not all americans are cowboys...oh my :P

And regarding Mafia in general it's a cliché when you talk about Italy..nice, Pizza, mandolino and Mafia :P

I don't think movies should reflect the way of life of an entire society.

Like Americans, not all are cowboys, warriors or even brave, yet American movies reflect that. Same goes for any other country :) For instance, I'm sure not all French people are great kissers :D

Anyway, I think Italian movies regarding the mafia and all that are not more than typical Italian movies. It's what makes the Italian movie industry interesting :)

Nice to get some feedback on this topic. I presented the topic because i know that there can be a lot of negative stereotypes formed from all forms of media. T.V., music, movies, books, etc. Everything in the mainstream media can be a platform for people to form their opinions about a group of people.

I don't think it's a problem, at least we're seen as tough right? I mean there could be worse things to be portrayed as. I think it's an individual thing anyways. I know people seem to love to stereotype and there's nothing we can do about it. Just live your life, that's all we can do. People will always judge!

Exactly :) People will always judge everyone else.

For instance, most Italians are afraid of Albanians because they think they are some kind of "evil doers". I even have work colleagues who don't do anything but complain about them, they have had some contacts with Albanians and every time things ended somewhat bad. Yet, 2 of my best friends are Albanians, they would help me in the middle of the night in the blink of an eye if I need them, they are good people but the media managed to trash them to the point of no return.

It's just an example.
Another example would be the one I already mentioned somewhere on the forum. Italians are seen as sexists, rude and cheapskates in some European countries. Yet, that's not the case.

I don't think it's a problem, at least we're seen as tough right? I mean there could be worse things to be portrayed as. I think it's an individual thing anyways. I know people seem to love to stereotype and there's nothing we can do about it. Just live your life, that's all we can do. People will always judge!
Haha. Yes toughness is a good quality to have. But i will say this though, a lot of those mob shows i mentioned also portray a deep sense of family unity, which is always a great thing.

Haha. Yes toughness is a good quality to have. But i will say this though, a lot of those mob shows i mentioned also portray a deep sense of family unity, which is always a great thing.

Yes I do love the strong family bond they represent on TV as well. I would say it's pretty authentic too :) Most Italians I know do come from strong family bonds.

I also love the strong familial bond that is shown in these mafia movies, but I relate it to be more so part of the Italian culture than a mafia characteristic. The only negative portrayal of Italians on TV or film that I've seen has been Jersey Shore. But I bet the characters on the JS would have acted TOTALLY different had the show shown them around their family. I watch Vinny's talk show that's set up at his mother's house and see a much different and better side of him.