Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Italian Fried Olives

Discussion in 'Italian Recipes' started by Kitty Reeves, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Ingredients
    1 -ounce Gorgonzola cheese, at room temperature
    1/4 cup ricotta cheese, at room temperature
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
    1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
    20 pitted green olives, rinsed and dried thoroughly
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
    Vegetable oil, for frying

Directions

Special equipment: a pastry bag, a plain tip with a 1/4-inch opening

In a small bowl, combine the cheeses, thyme, and lemon zest. Place the cheese mixture into the pastry bag. Pipe the cheese mixture into each olive.

Place the flour in a small bowl. Pour the beaten egg in another small bowl and the bread crumbs in a third small bowl. Dredge the olives in the flour. Using a slotted spoon, remove the olives and place in the bowl with the beaten egg. Coat the olives with the egg and transfer to the bowl of bread crumbs. Coat the olives with the bread crumbs.

In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, pour in enough oil to fill the pan about 1/3of the way. Heat over medium heat until a deep-frying thermometer inserted in the oil reaches 350 degrees F. (If you don't have a thermometer a cube of bread will brown in a couple of minutes.) Fry the olives, in batches, for 30 to 45 seconds until golden brown. Drain the fried olives on paper towels. Cool for 5 minutes.

df166c5655bcf9870c9196f02449e8f9.jpeg

AngelaMc and to7update like this.
  2. I've never tried fried olives before. I can't imagine how they would taste as olives have such a distinctive taste. I always have olives in my anti-paste but I find I can only eat a few before they make me sick.

3. These look interesting! I don't really like gorgonzola cheese though, do you think there's anything else that could work as a good substitute for gorgonzola?

The rest of the ingredients sound fabulous though - I really want to give them a try!

4. I think I could easily get lost in this part of the forum! :D Fried olives seem amazing as I love olives and all the other ingredients seem to combine perfectly! This is definitely a recipe I need to try out. As for the gorgonzola @notyourcommodity I am not really sure, what do you say @Kitty Reeves?

5. Just looking at this recipe makes me hungry. I have made Olives stuffed with blue cheese, but I have never fried them. They look easy to make and would pair well with a Martini. Yummy. Thank you for the recipe.:)

to7update likes this.
  6. Haha, lunch time is approaching rapidly and it's really not a good idea to be looking at this right now, as I might be disappointed when I get there after seeing this here. I never friend olives either, but like you say it seems something really easy to do, and the result is certainly delicious. :)

AngelaMc likes this.
  7. Well for as big of an olive fan that I am, I am somewhat surprised that I have never even heard of a fried olive before, but it really does sound pretty intriguing. I think that I need to get out more.

8. Italain fried olives are among the best type out there. In fact, I know of no others. I have not tried any fried olives that have not come from Italy's vineyards...