Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Italian Brands

Discussion in 'General Discussion About Italy' started by Chillout, Jul 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Most of northern Italy is very industrialised and there are several well-known brands out there. Do you prefer to purchase Italian brands or are you like me who purchase based on price rather than the country of origin? (Non-food products)

2. I usually purchase by price rather than the country of origin. Everything is way over priced so I have to look for a good price.

3. For me it depends on what I'm cooking and who I'm cooking it for. If its just a quick meal that I'm making just for myself, I'll often go the cheap and cheerful route and not really bother where the ingredients are from.

On the other hand though, if I'm cooking for others I'll take a bit more care in what I'm making so will also choose the ingredients a lot more carefully also.

4. It depends - I try to balance the issue of price and quality. I prefer to spend a little bit more and buy something that would last a little bit longer rather than buy plenty of products which will shortly need to be replaced. I donĀ“t really mind the issue of a product being on the high end of the brand scale or not, but I do prefer to buy a locally produced item rather than an item made in China.

5. You know, I always try to keep quality in mind - I don't want to buy something just to have it fall apart not long after I get it. But at the end of the day I guess money talks (to a degree). I try to find a middle balance of quality and price - I have certain brands that I'm loyal to for certain things, but for others I might have to compromise and not always buy the most expensive quality brand out there.

6. I do generally try to think about quality at least a little when buying things, however beyond a point, for me it's really the price that makes any difference. If I bought everything based on the country of origin, I would often spend far more than I would actually need to.

7. Quality is important, don't get me wrong, and some of the cheapest ingredients can taste dreadful. I think you have to find a balance though, and look for value for money, especially these days when money's tight (it is for me anyway)

I'm sure if we could afford it we'd all be buying top of the range ingredients and cooking like a God, but that's not going to happen, certainly not to me anyway!

8. The brands of the company "Kinder" are definitively in that what they are producing the best. I am buying a lot of these brand because my children are loving it. The "kinder chocolote" or the "Kinder Surprise" are just two examples of a lot bigger assortment.

9. There are well known brands and brands that use an Italian sounding name. You should always check where the product was from and where it was packaged as they could be different places. The 'Made in Italy' brand does carry weight still, just as Made in China or India has a stigma about it. I tend to stick to brands I know and based on the price, I maybe willing to try something else depending what is available.

10. I think that's one of the oldest tricks in the book when it comes to marketing and selling a product. If you get it to sound like it's from a particular part of the world, people will be more inclined to buy it.

Sadly a lot of the time, while the names and the packaging is different, what's inside is generically made and processed in the same factory, nowhere near where you think it's from.

11. I'm like you. I personally purchase products based on price and overall quality instead of country of origin. I also have to agree with pwarbi on it being one of the oldest tricks in the book.

12. I saw on an episode of an Anthony Bourdain TV show wherein he bought Italian sunglasses. He said sunglasses made in Italy are usually of good quality.
    I heard Italian leather-made products are also good. Problem is, I do not really know the exact brands of the sunglasses or the store for the Italian leather products.

13. I sometimes think that people can go to far though and just buy products because of where it's made, rather than getting value for money. I mean are sunglasses made in Italy, really any better than a pair made in another country or did that person buy them just so he can brag that his sunglasses are from Italy?

14. I agree. Sometimes the quality does change depending on where the product is manufactured, and sometimes it even depends on who exactly made it. But, often, the 'better brands' just end up being about five times the price of the smaller ones, even though the quality is exactly the same to the average consumer. I do care about quality, but the brand doesn't matter to me so much that I'll spend so much on it.

15. I guess if money isn't a worry then you can afford to spend a lot more and just pay for the brand name, but us mere mortals aren't so fortunate, we'll, I'm not anyway.

Like you say, I don't mind paying a little extra for the quality, but I wouldn't pay more just because of the name either.

16. Depends, I always pursuit the quality in a product so I would definelt buy an Italian brand original that is certified that it comes from Italy instead of buying a chinese one.

17. I think a lot of the problem is that a lot of brands hide behind a label that sounds authentic, and people don't actually check the small print as to where they are originally manufactured.

It's not illegal, but it's just a bit misleading, and the only way it will stop, is if people are more aware of what they're actually purchasing.

18. I would make it illegale, because doing so you're basically act like a thief stealing the brand from another firm/person.

19. I usually buy based on price, or brands I know and trust. Imported foods are pretty expensive where I live, so I can't usually afford them.

20. I agree and while the practice should be stopped and made illegal, I'm not sure if that's even possible as who is to say if the brand as traditional roots or not?

A brand might be manufactured and sold in a particular country but that doesn't mean to say the concept wasn't first based in Italy.