Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

How To Make Tiramisu

Discussion in 'Italian Recipes' started by Kitty Reeves, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Ingredients
    *6 egg yolks
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1 pound mascarpone cheese
    1 1/2 cups strong espresso, cooled
    2 teaspoons dark rum
    24 packaged ladyfingers
    1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate shavings, for garnish

Directions

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer with whisk attachment, beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale, about 5 minutes. Add mascarpone cheese and beat until smooth. Add 1 tablespoon of espresso and mix until thoroughly combined.

In a small shallow dish, add remaining espresso and rum. Dip each ladyfinger into espresso for only 5 seconds. Letting the ladyfingers soak too long will cause them to fall apart. Place the soaked ladyfinger on the bottom of a 13 by 9 inch baking dish, breaking them in half if necessary in order to fit the bottom.

Spread evenly 1/2 of the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers. Arrange another layer of soaked ladyfingers and top with remaining mascarpone mixture.

Cover tiramisu with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, up to 8 hours.

[​IMG]

2. Great recipe. At my house, we'd often substitute the mascarpone with cream cheese instead, and skip the rum for something lighter

3. Wow that is one large bite of Tiramisu! Now that I know that Tiramisu is actually an Italian delicacy, I feel better about wanting to have them for dessert. I used to think they were a Japanese invention because of the name. I have black coffee with my Tiramisu because it's already sweet and packed with lots of eggs, cheese and ladyfingers. :) The last time I had a Tiramisu was probably two years ago. I usually would try to get a larger bite of the Tiramisu.

4. @sammien94 Yeah we generally substitute the mascarpone with cream cheese, but only when I'm short on time or money, since it generally tastes best with mascarpone.

My Father LOVES tiramisu, so I make it quite often! ;)