How do Italians feel about Mob movies?

Fardreamer

Community Member
May 24, 2009
How do Italians feel about Mob movies?

As most people who like and go to the movies a great deal (or watch a lot of television) know, Hollywood has a strange fascination for movies about gangsters. And while there are films and TV shows that focus on such figures as Meyer Lansky, John Dillinger, Dwight Schultz, and other non-Italian-Americans, the most famous ones involve folks like Alphonse (Al) Capone and fictional characters such as Don Vito Corleone.

With movies such as Goodfellas and The Godfather Saga that delve into the not-so-nice doings of the Mafia (la Cosa Nostra) in the U.S. and Italy being so legendary, how do Italians in Italy feel about them? Do they feel that filmmakers tell too many stories of capos, consiglieri and dons? Are such movies unfairly stereotypical? Are they too cartoony and exaggerated? Or are they in some way a window into the dark side of Italian/Sicilian society?

Re: How do Italians feel about Mob movies?

I think that Italian mafia should be grateful to the Hollywood for the movie legend created by the producer's genius. I am far from denying of the existence of the italian mob but it is not such a serious occurrence.

Re: How do Italians feel about Mob movies?

I would be interested to know just how much the traditional Coas Nostra still exists on mainland Italy as it seems to be more of a Sicilian phenomena. Speaking as someone from the UK ,The only place you really hear about traditional clan criminals these days appear to be the Camorra in Naples ?