Has Anyone Seen The Costa Concordia Wreak

Karen Watson

Community Member
Jul 11, 2013
I have friends that live 30 miles inland from the site the Costa Concordia wreak. I have talked to them and they point out first It's sad that 32 people died for nothing.The area around Giglio is so beautiful people are still very upset, still because the wreck is still there, I have not been through Grosseto for a few years and have not seen the Costa wreck. Has anyone here seen it?

I've seen it on TV, but I have never been in that area in my life.
I know those people dies for nothing, and I feel so sorry for their families. I can't even imagine what they must feel. You expect to see cool photos from the vacation of your loved ones and instead... :(

I understand it's going to be a while until they take away the wreak. They were supposed to take it away a while ago but bad weather was in the way and now they're building some sort of ramp to be able to pull it out of the water.

I hope this kind of tragedy will never happen again!

Reactions: Karen Watson
A ramp? I missed the news about it. There must still be some Etruscans around to build something like that!
I saw in the news the trial has started in Grosseto. I'm sure they realize they must be much more careful now.

I realy love that area I was in the hills and the view all the way to Elba is amazing.

Well... ramp, seabed, to me it's the same :D They're building it under the ship so that they will be able to pull it out.

Here's a quote from Wikipedia:
"Preparatory work consists of building an underwater metal platform and artificial seabed made of sand and cement on the downhill side of the wreck and attaching caissons to the side of the ship above the surface and filling them with water. Once this is completed, the ship will be pulled upright by cables over the course of two days and settle on the platform. Additional caissons will be attached to the other side of the ship; both sets will then be flushed of water and their buoyancy will refloat the ship to allow her to be towed to Sicily, where she will be scrapped" (source)

That will happen in 2014 though.

Reactions: Karen Watson
It's pretty cool that they came up with a way to float it. Cutting it up in the water would make a bigger mess. Two years sounds about right to file all the paperwork around there!
costa.webp