Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Giving/lending Attention

Discussion in 'Italian Language' started by Pessel, Nov 24, 2014.

1. I just discovered that Italians normally don't give attention, but they lend attention. The Italian word is prestiamo attenzione? Interesting, right? Does this reflect the way Italians live their life? :)

Asking for people to return a borrowed attention would be considered a joke in many places.

2. It's indeed a funny thing, especially when you learn Italian and then find out that many expressions make use of words that mean a totally different thing, when used alone!

It's like in English, "pay attention".... really? Pay? LOL

In Italian, there are also some other ways to say this.
    There's "stai attento", which means "be careful!" and it literally translates in "stay attentive", which is used when, for instance, you're crossing the street and a car is coming. You say "stai attento!" to the person next to you.

And then there's "fare attenzione", which means "to make attention". This is the "pay attention" expression, only Italians use the verb "to make" to express it.

3. #3 Hermann, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    Actually the real root of " prestare attenzione " might be the verb " Apprestare " ( to get something ready, to set )

Notice the italian word " prestazione " too, meaning " performance.

And " Presto " ( soon, quick )

4. I like the word "fare attenzione" and the verb "apprestare" because they promote activities and not inactivity about something so passive, like giving attention. At the very least, I should be able to notice them when being used in a sentence. :)

5. I think this kind of differences between languages is very interesting, the first thing that came to my mind was really the English expression that is "pay attention" which I feel is even weirder than to lend attention.