Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Giant Catfish

Discussion in 'Italian Sport' started by Gelsemium, Mar 3, 2015.

1. To tell you my honest thoughts on this, I feel it's a disgrace to kill such a beautiful fish, especially such a giant. It's all about trophy hunting and senseless killing. A real fisherman only takes from the seas what he and his family can eat, or what he can sell. And as for those who love fishing for the sake of fishing, most of them will let the fish go again. Some will even kiss them before they put them back in the ocean, such as famous TV personality, Rex Hunt.

Elementalmage likes this.
  2. I get the impression that it's not quite a social sport.

3. Whoa! That is a massive fish! I wonder if that fish is some sort of mutant, because normally catfish are only about as big as a trout. About 5 to 8 pounds or so? Not that massive!

4. That's a pretty insane looking fish! It almost doesn't look natural. What I want to know though is what they exactly do with it after they've caught it. If it's just thrown away it would be completely a waste of time. Hopefully it's a bit more sophisticated than that.

5. It reminds me something from the dinosaur age to be honest and I find amazing that someone was actually able to catch it. The technique has to be something really unique and of course, it had to be an Italian doing it. :)

6. I agree with amethyst. This was just blood sport and for what. That cat fish has probably lived many years and didn't deserve this. I get it, people eat fish. But trophy hunting is cruel and unnecessary and always will be, no matter the animal, because they are killed for killing sake, to make the hunter feel powerful. There's nothing 'wow' in that photo. It's senseless.

7. A completely pointless killing, a fish that size must have suffered being wrestled from the water. It makes me upset just to think about it, there should not be such things as European records when connected with killing living creatures.

Those two brothers motive was purely noteriety and had nothing to do with sport, they should not be receiving any publicity over this.

8. The fish was released back into the river after the photoshoot.
    The river Po is famous for its big fish and many enthusiasts from all over Europe come to fish here.

9. That's more of a monster than a fish! You'd definitely need a big plate anyway...

Joking aside, I don't really class fishing as a sport, even though I know a lot of people do. I just don't see the point of it if I'm honest, not that kind of fishing anyway.

Sea fishing and by specific people an companies that provide fish to eat is a different matter of course.