General work in Italy

danny

Community Member
Aug 5, 2006
In a house
General work in Italy

Salve!

I am thinking of moving to Italy from the UK (Florence area)

I have heard that there is very little work there? Is this true?

What are the main types of work in the Florence are?

Regards

Danny

Hello Danny and welcome to the forum.

It really depends on what type of work you are looking for? I cant answer for the florence areaas i am based in Lombardia but generally there is work and you should not be put off but what you have heard.

There is a very large metalmecanic industrial industry in the north of Italy. From making cars (Fiat, Iveco) to Cookers, Fridges etc...(Smeg, technogas)

Italy is a beautiful country and with its history also has a large Tourism employment market (airports, Hotels, etc...)

There seems to be new supermarkets and shopping centres being built all of the time which is sadly taking away the buisness from the local town centres so there is also plenty of retail work.

I think one of the biggest problems regarding work in Italy is the types of employment contracts that they offer. (pay, working hours, etc...)

What type of work would you like to do and for how long do you intend on staying in Italy?

not too botherd what work i do at the beginning,. from you post you say that there is industrial work there so i guess a factory job or something likewise for a while until i pick more italian. after i could find something in an office but my italian is not that great. you said that one of the biggest problems is the contracts. how do they differ and whats the problems.

Danny

There are for main types of Employment contracts in Italy

Contract with Employment Agency: - most popular contract

Up until around seven years ago there was not really a demand for employment agencies until silvo Berlusconi (x President) decided to change employment laws due to Italy’s declining industrial sector. The new law was that companies could employ temporary staff in order to help these companies expand. Sadly in my view it has made the country worse.

Most companies now employ using an employment agency. It’s much cheaper for them and they don’t have responsibilities for personnel. The agencies tend to give you a work contract 1 to 2 months at a time. When your contract is due to expire they will call you a couple of days before to renew the contract. If they don’t call you well this usually means that your contract is going to expire without a renewal. In Italy most production companies close for the month of august therefore they will usually provide you with a contract until the last day that the company is open before holidays. If they wish to keep you and when they re-open in September then they will issue a new contract starting then. The same thing applies at Christmas time. You do receive holiday pay for the days that you have worked but in reality you can’t take them. Many of the companies only keep what they call good workers. Those who don’t take many sick days, holidays outside of the companies standard holiday time. I agree that yes if I was a business then I would want to keep the good workers but you cannot discriminate someone if they are sick. For young women it’s very hard to find a job as the companies are scared that they will go on maternity leave and they are left to fork the bill so they simply don’t employ them in the first place. I am very shocked at the way companies here treat people. You live a life in fear of losing a job. Can’t be sick, can’t have babies.

There are companies that change the staff every year even if you are good or bad. It’s all about saving money and avoiding long term sick pay etc….

Italy is in a period of crazy employment wise. The one thing I don’t understand is if most people have employment like this then the people have no security, can’t get a mortgage, get finance and sometimes it’s even difficult to rent an apartment. And they wonder why the economy is slowing down? Its logic I think, if you can’t buy a car or a house then there is less demand for them. My area is full of beautiful new houses but very few people are in the position to buy.

Although this post may sound negative it’s the true Italy. If you manage to survive a few years the good companies usually will offer you a contract direct with them with no expire date (contracto fisso). It’s just a shame that you have no rights for the period that you are with the agency. I mean by law you have rights but this is Italy and what the laws say and what goes on is something complete different.

On the positive side Italy is a beautiful country. For work its difficult but not impossible, the food, wine and people are great and ive decided to stay here for those reasons.

Temporary contract direct with company

Some companies but not many will give you a temporary contract direct with them with an expiry date. Usually 6 months to 2 years normally.

Contract Fisso

This is a contract that has no expiry date. It’s very difficult nowadays in Italy to walk straight into a job under a contract fisso. You need to do a few years under the agency before there is even a possibility of this contract.

The last contract is well, black

This is very popular especially in the south of Italy.

No contract, Low pay, no rights, no pension, no holiday pay, no sick pay but you dont pay tax!!!!!!!!

Sorry, went on a bit this thread. im glad i got that off my chest!!!!!

I have heard from an italian friend of mine here in the uk that its very difficult for females to find work. now i now why! Thanks for the info and will keep it in mind. So the fisso contract is the one that i want but like you say not many companies offer them straight away. I guess its worth looking at italian companies here in the uk to see if they need any english speaking people there in Italy.
Danny

General work in Italy

Salve!

I am thinking of moving to Italy from the UK (Florence area)

I have heard that there is very little work there? Is this true?

What are the main types of work in the Florence are?

Regards

Danny
Hi Danny, the most common jobs in Italy are Truck Drivers, Maintenance Workers, Healthcare Occupations, Groundskeepers, Carpenters, Assemblers, and Childcare Workers. The most employment growth is in Tourism, Computers, Food Industry's, and Waitstaff. I hope this was helpful.