Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Eurovision

Discussion in 'Italian Music, Film and TV' started by OliveOil, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Is Eurovision or the national elections popular in Italy? I can't really say I enjoy Eurovision as it's not really my type of music. But, I would still like to see some Italian Eurovision songs if anyone has any links.

2. Ahh! the eurovision song contest, is that still going? I'm sure that back in the day, most people in Europemight have enjoyed wwatching and taking part in it but now, some of the music is unbelievably bad (in my opinion) and some of the voting is even worse.

Obviously, being from the UK we never do very well because nobody seems to like us very much!

3. Doesn't have the most Eurovision victories out of all countries? I'm pretty sure you could win it you wanted to, you're the second biggest music producer in the world. Maybe you don't want to win because then you'd have to pay for the next contest? But yeah, I agree. The music is horrible, although I've always found it horrible.

4. Isn't San Remo just the national election and the winner represents Italy in Eurovision, though? Every country has a national election.

5. I'm not European, but I've watched eurovision a few times and it's pretty entertaining. The music isn't GREAT but it's not bad, and the whole thing is kind of cool. Like a casual rivalry between countries

6. I was pretty sure that Italy was in the competition. Regardless, it's always one of the weirdest musical events of the year. Admittedly, I haven't watched it for over ten years, but the "highlights" I've seen on the news each year just illustrates how different everyone's tastes are.

7. I can't believe the Eurovision song contest is still going, let alone being shown on television. The songs and the acts are dire and the whole production is amateur like. In fact the production doesn't seem to have moved on from the 1970's and seems to be stuck in a time warp.

Obviously people must still like it for the TV companies to pick it up each year and it had a certain appeal for me when i was a child, but there is no place for it in the 21st century in my view. I would think Italy's singers are too sophisticated to take Eurovision seriously.

8. I remember it as well!! I was so young when I watched it. Most of all, I hated that it was usually on school nights so I could never watch till the end (I am usually asleep by 11 o´clock). I can´t imagine that it´s still active, though. I don´t know anyone who still watches it. The last I´d heard was a few years ago when Lordi won (correct?) with their heavy metal song (was it?). I can´t really remember it´s name, but it was quite a hit! But yes, you´re right. The quality of some songs and contestants can be very... dubious, haha.

9. The thing that gets me about the show, especially here in the UK is that it's actually promoted on the TV adverts as if its THAT bad, you HAVE to watch it, just for entertainment value alone!

People still have Eurovision parties and all get really involved with it all...unbelievable!

10. Wait, does the advertisement actually say that Eurovision is bad?! That's, uh... kind of like reverse advertisement. I've heard that the UK doesn't want to win just so that they don't have to pay for the next year's contest.

11. They don't actually come out and say that in so many words, but that's definitely the way it's put out there. Kind of like..."remember how much fun you had last year, laughing at these acts?"..."well lets do that again this year"...it draws people to watch it just to see how bad it is.

And I don't know about that, wasn't there a time when Ireland kept winning it, something like 4 years in a row and the joke then was that if they win it the year after aswell the country would go bankrupt due to having to host it again!

12. Well, we all know England could win whenever it wants to. England is the second biggest music producer in the world. I think Sweden also could since we're the third biggest.

13. Who won last year again? With that LGBT performer?

14. Not just with England but any country, it's not about the songs, it's about the voting.

England could have the best song in their but nobody likes us very much so won't vote.

Then you've got the usual political votes...Eastern European countries all vote for each other. I thnk that's probably the most laughable part of the night, you know how countries are going to vote before they do.

15. Yeah, that's true. But what can you do about it? You can't forbid them to vote for each other. Maybe the West should create some sort of pact to counter. /s

16. No idea. I haven't watched the last five or so contests. I think that transsexual lady was from Austria though. I'm not really sure if she identifies as a female though, it might just have been for show.

17. And that's where it becomes ridiculous. It's not about the song now, well, was it ever really, they was never brilliant was they? It's now more about the countries and who they want to vote for.

We could just scrap the singing part and just have a favourite country competition instead?

18. Well, I am not much of a fan regarding this contest. It seems to be all about politics. The content shown was never something stand-offish. Just a mediocre and politically correct stuff. If you're looking some festival to see the Italian artists perform, San Remo is definitely a better choice.

19. I didn't know that they still have the Eurovision contest and there must be a lot of talent in Europe, in fact it must be a good show to watch when it comes to the talent from all around Europe.