Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Employment level falls to the worst level

Discussion in 'Employment' started by andrew25, Jun 22, 2009.

1. Employment level falls to the worst level

For the first time in 14 years, the number of people holding jobs in Italy declined and the unemployment index rose to 7.9% which I think is not a good figure, isn't it ?

2. It's probably getting worse too as things are not really any better, although Mr Belusconi continues to say that the economic 'crazy' is over!

3. Re: Employment level falls to the worst level

It's getting bad everywhere. Here where I live in the States, the local unemployment rate just went up to over 11%. People want to believe things are improving, but the numbers aren't supporting that.

4. Re: Employment level falls to the worst level

I live in Michigan and our unemployment rate is finally below fifteen percent again. It was as high as nineteen percent for a while. The auto makers are finally beginning to call people back to work.

5. Re: Employment level falls to the worst level

The car indusrty was one of the first to be hit too in Italy. The goverment introduced benefits such as up to €3000 euro off when buying a new car if you have an old car to scrap.

It will be intersting to see how the tourism season went this year as that usually creates many jobs for the summer months.

6. Re: Employment level falls to the worst level

Same here in the UK. Our car industry has declined massively in the last 25 to 30 years and this time around it seems to be the public sector workers - like Italy - who will be bearing the brunt.