Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Duolingo Italian Course

Discussion in 'Italian Language' started by CeresCat, Dec 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Does anyone else here use Duolingo to learn Italian? I've been using it brush up on my Spanish and also to learn Italian. It is kind of my main source for learning Italian right now because I don't have a good book and no one seems to be offering classes nearby.

I really love using duolingo though. It makes learning feel effortless and not boring. I would recommend it if you haven't tried it out before.

And if anyone wants to, feel free to add me.

2. I do use Duolingo a lot, mostly to learn/practice my German. I think the Duolingo Italian voice is a bit annoying, though. I do use it anyway every now and then, to make sure I don't forget what I've learned. It is also part of my goals to finish my tree and keep it golden!

I don't think Duolingo is enough to learn a language, though. If it's all you use (for lack of books or classes), I really suggest that you find and print some kid stories / fairytales in Italian on the internet. That makes good reading practice! Try also to make some listening -- the radio, or some shows/movies, because the Duolingo voice will for sure not cut it!

3. I've never heard of it before. Since it does such a great job, I will definitely be checking it out now.

4. It does a great job in the sense that it makes learning a new language a game more than a task. Furthermore, it encourages you to build a habit out of your language practice. You could also build a community there; since it does not teach grammar, not really, it's always possible to ask questions in the comments and more often then not, native speakers will answer you with very perceptive explanations. It is great on this aspect. But, like I said, not sufficient, learning on the side should also be done (talking and listening being two big things).

5. Yes! I love DuoLingo! I've been using it for a while and it makes learning fun! Though, I've heard that it's not perfect. It's made for conversational Italian, more then anything? That's just what a friend told me. I was using to learn Italian and learn more French. It's such a great little app! :D

6. I've also started learning Italian via Duolingo and I must admit that it's fun. I have started about six languages at once, so that says it all. I didn't stop playing / learning, because it's both, until I got Duo a suit and then I slowed down. After I broke my ten day streak, I just couldn't force myself to start learning again. I haven't gone to Duolingo for about two weeks now. The main thing is not to stop the streak. If you do, it can get very difficult to motivate yourself to start learning again, so it has both positive and negative sides.

I did like the course, though. There were a lot of options and various exercises. I only have one complaint: the speaking exercises. Sometimes it just doesn't accept your recording, no matter how hard you try. The voice recognition system isn't really the best, in my opinion. I'd lost a lot of points simply because it didn't recognise what I was saying, although it sounded fine to me.

7. I use Duolingo quite a bit, and have been studying Italian off and on for about a year. I also started Spanish, but juggling two languages at once didn't work for me. You can actually opt out of the speaking exercises if you like. I did it so I can practice Italian without looking like a weirdo in public and because, as you said, the voice recognition can be a little tricky. On the other hand, what I generally do is use voice to text with Italian as a recognized language. This lets you practice your pronunciation, and it also can make entering text a little simpler.

Cominciare a studiare la lingua italiana di nuovo. Non รจ molto difficile.

8. I learn a few languages from Duolingo, including Italian. I started Duolingo mainly to brush up on my German and French vocabulary, however after seeing so many other courses, I started learning Spanish, and then Italian. The courses are quite good for vocabulary and conversational phrases, however as far as I've seen, it's not the best for grammar, verb conjugations and tenses. But it's a great way to get a strong foundation in a language that you know nothing of!

9. I use Duolingo quite a bit. I quite like it. I found Duolingo the movie on You tube. The guy who made it is extremely good looking and talented:

Dan

10. I have to admit, before coming across this thread, I'd never even heard of Duolingo before but judging by the response, I'll also be checking it out aswell.

I'm not saying it will help me as my language skills leave a lot to be desired but anything that can help I'm willing to give a go.

11. I think one of the best point of Duolingo is that it's pretty low-pressure. You don't have to get into the theory and be distressed as you contemplate the different grammar points and wonder if you're just too dense to get the use of the subjonctive. It's gamified in many ways, and it familiarizes you to the language in a fun way. I use it as a way to refresh and practice my Italian -- and learn new words every now and then (I know Italian, but I have many blind spots, notably any word I did not need to use in my few months living in Rome). So it's always worth a try, and it makes "picking up" new languages easy. Will not make you fluent, though. But it might just make you want to learn more!

12. I think when it comes to learning a foreign language then a lot of people aren't to bothered about being fluent, I think they're more than happy to learn enough just to get by in that particular country...and of course not show themselves up!

13. Yeah, makes sense. I know I was feeling super happy when I could ask directions to a good gelateria in Italian, and then I understood the answer I got!
    But I learn it and keep learning it to expand possibilities, so to speak. Because some news articles, books, movies or events I come across sometimes are just in Italian, and then it's fun to know it. Also, to eavesdrop on tourists random conversations. So many reasons.

14. Eavesdropping on tourists conversations?! Ahhh, now the real reason is coming out!

Seriously though, to not only be able to learn the basics of a language but to be able to be fluent must be a wonderful thing, and to be able to go to a country and not ask them to speak English must make a nice change for them as well.

15. Well. Some of them sure are happy that you speak to them in their language but, from my experience living there, if I ever hesitated (even if it was just to mentally calculate something rather than because I did not know the right words!), they would start speaking to me in English right away (if they could). It got a bit frustrating, because I usually don't speak super fast and then they were just sort of jumping into English and I'd be like, wait! I wanna learn to speak better!

The butcher at my grocery store was a super nice old guy though and I don't think he spoke any English, so in a way I think being fluent is great because it takes away the limits you have on the people you can talk to. Though of course, you could mime stuff and speak with hands and smiles.

Are you not fluent in any other language but English? It seems like the commonest thing in the US (to speak just one language if your first language is English), but it is still much different than what I'm used to.

16. Fluent, no. Just English but I can speak and get by (just) in French, German and Spanish. I haven't even attempted Italian to be honest although it is a language I have looked at many times and I am considering giving it a go.

At the moment time is the issue, as in I don't have a lot spare, but one day I'll get there.

17. Well, four languages is pretty cool. :) You did not make it sound this way earlier!

The thing is if you do not have the time or the occasions to learn a language, you can always make time for it... but the truth to that is that you also need time and occasions to practice it later on, so there's that longterm consideration to take into account.

pwarbi likes this.
  18. I make it sound more impressive than it is, haha. I know enough to get by like I said, and that's mainly due to the fact I used to go to them countries a lot on business a few years ago so I thought it would be polife to at least make the effort.

That of course was before I had a family and I did have a lot more time on my hands than I do now. Ah well, maybe one day.

Joie d'Etre likes this.
  19. Meh, I find that if you really want something but don't have time because of a family, the easiest thing is always to incorporate your family into it. Gamify it this way and all. I always liked to use the little ones for cooking, and they were also pretty receptive to being taught a few foreign words here and there! :)

pwarbi likes this.
  20. The cooking, or in our case known as making a mess is fine, we've got that part sorted, the languages may be an issue as they're only just grasping English, nevermind anything else.

Can I ask how long do you think it took to go from learning a few basics to becoming as competent as you are now in Italian? I found Spanish the easiest but Italian seems harder?