Dubbing Or Subtitles?

Francesca

Community Member
Apr 29, 2013
What's your opinion on the whole film dubbing situation? Do you find it a bit weird to watch American movies dubbed in Italian? I personally prefer subtitles but that's not an option around here.

What do you think?

To be honest, I prefer subtitles but I have to say, what helped me the most while I was struggling to learn the Italian language, was the TV!
My TV has the option of hearing the movies in English too though, I sometimes switch to English if possible. Maybe you can do that too, you'll have to 'inspect' your remote control and find the button :P

Since the introduction of Digital TV a few years ago, you can usually change the language in most foreign films. I don't watch TV much but when I do, I just leave it in Italian. I think for someone learning Italian using subtitles is a great way to learn. Listening in one language and reading in another really helped me when I first moved here.

My family always leaves the TV in Italian. I have studied the language for years before coming here but they could use some practice! My mother is not a fast learner and neither is my dad so hearing Italian on TV helps them understand the language better.

Usually I watch dubbed films, but sometimes I like to watch some movies with their original soundtrack and subtitles

I prefer subtitles as they make the viewing experience more realistic.

I also agree that watching TV in Italian is a great way to improve your listening and understanding. I actually think that Italian subtitles on Italian TV would be an added bonus when learning the language.

I won't watch anything that is not subbed. Even when they have the same actor dub their voice I find it distracting. Sometimes though the subtitles can be unintentionally funny but when the translation is good the sound of the fast talking Italian passion is half of the performance.

Subtitles are always a better option, in my opinion - unless you want to practice listening to Italian, but I think it's better to just watch Italian movies and TV shows then. Watching the movement of lips not matching the words said by the actors is driving me mad :P

I agree, it's driving me nuts too! :p
Did you also notice that many times they don't even translate the exact thing? Oh, and the movie titles are awfully translated sometimes!

This is also one of the reasons I don't go to the cinema here in Italy. I've been to 2 movies in 5 years.
The first movie was a big mistake, I didn't understand a thing and I left quickly. I had no idea the movies were dubbed in theaters too :rolleyes:
last time I went to the cinema was because my friends insisted and it would have been rude for me to say no. We saw Fast and Furious 6.... in Italian!

I believe they show some films with subtitles you can find them in the listings stating "original language" or an abbreviation of it. It's the reason Sylvester Stallone is more popular in Europe than America because subtitles don't stutter!

I much prefer subtitles - I've noticed that dubbing actors are all pretty wooden...My theory is they were probably only chosen for the dub for having clear speaking voices rather than artistic talent, as none of them really seem to channel the character that well...

Plus subtitles are a great tool for langauge learning!

I find it hard to enjoy a film when it's dubbed personally. Subtitles are even worse. I couldn't imagine not being english or american haha, must be a bit irritating to say the least! Same with music

Doesn't matter the language, for me dubbed films or TV shows are big NO - NO! It's just must translations are plain wrong, and all the meaning is sometimes lost and is replaced for something totally different. It's like watching the simpsons in a different language (and I have), the people who dub them do whatever they like! Watching the simpsons in Spain would be totally different than watching them in the US. They rarely stick to the original script!