Begin A New Adventure

Wish to share / learn new things about Italy with a fantastic group of people?

1. Tutto Italy uses cookies and by continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This notice is in regards to the EU Cookie Law. Learn More.

Doing Little Jobs While Traveling

Discussion in 'Employment' started by Julian02, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Would there be a way of doing all sorts of little, short term jobs for people as a way of earning some money while traveling through Italy? I think it would be an interesting thing to do. Not only would you get to spend more time there but you would also have a chance of mingling with the locals.

2. Hmm... well, the way I came to Italy was quite interesting. I didn't come as a tourist, but I came here to work for 3 months.
    Italy's famous for their summer short term jobs, many students can't work during the school year so they work during the summer. I also know many foreigners who choose to come here, work for a few months, and then go back home. i was one of them :)

However, I don't know if anyone can apply for a job here because you would need the proper documents. For most citizens, I think a passport if mandatory, or for EU citizens, some form of ID. For other nations, a work permit is needed. But for short term jobs I'm not sure these companies or work agencies will be willing to make the effort.. (seeing how there are already so many Italians in need of a job, even if short term).

But there's always a way, if you insist on working while visiting Italy :p
    Speaking to the locals can't hurt, maybe when booking a room in a bed and breakfast, contact the owner and simply ask?
    Or, have you tried online freelancing work? :) All you need is a laptop, you can carry it anywhere in Italy :)
    The possibilities exist, you just need to find them:)

Gelsemium likes this.
  3. I would love to do short term jobs in Italy and work my way through the country. There are many websites that you can apply through for such trips. A lot of it ends up being very meaningful work. There are also some opportunities to teach English, but they end up being in one city only. Be aware of some sites that ask you to pay to go work in a foreign country.

4. I have had some doing freelance assignments for Italian companies and I am actually happy about the job security. The nature of the job however, having a short term cycle, makes it hard to develop a long term relationship with them. I didn't understand at first that short term jobs are the standard in Italy.

Having been in touch with social media career sites, I should be able to get used to the pace. One thing I learned from reading up on the way Italians view their work is how they are used to "posibilities" and "probabilities".

5. If we own a laptop and we manage an internet connection we can always work online for some extra money. As for local jobs, eventually at restaurants we can work for a few hours if we get lucky.

6. I've never heard of doing odd jobs while visiting Italy. I've heard of services such as WWOOF in Australia where you work on organic farms in order to earn room and board during your stay. A lot of people stay for a month or so if they are on a prolonged trip. I wouldn't be surprised if Italy had a similar service, but I haven't heard of it yet.

I'm sure with a lot of local shops and farms in general, if you are looking to stay for a longer trip, you could approach business owners and ask them for temporary jobs yourself. I think a lot of them would be open to the idea. You would be able to learn so much about the culture while doing so. I'd learn Italian if you haven't yet though, or else it'd be hard to communicate at the job site.

7. Their actually could be, I know when I travel their are always people looking for sign spinners, and someone to talk about their food, and right reviews of their businesses. So their are lots of stuff to do, if you just look around.

8. Aside from working, there are volunteer opportunities that give stipends and free room and board in a lot of countries. I'm pretty sure there are in Italy as well. Finding a part time job, especially if you're not from Europe is really hard in Italy, I'd imagine

9. I feel that most people will not do that unless we are planning on travelling for a long time and we don't have a job in our country. I mean, we have 20 days vacations, so we really need to organize them well to rest, not to work.

10. I'm thinking jobs that are of freelance basis and that pays well enough to get people around Italy... To be able to travel freely, though I think of activities like travel blogging, food blogging, or web designing for local restaurants. Something with a flexible timeline, so that people have time to browse around and explore.

11. At this point I would love to be a guy with no family just for a couple of months and go to Italy live like this, doing little jobs, trying to make more money to stay a few more days, it would be a life time adventure.

12. You can make a fair amount of money travel blogging, but you need to have a good amount of regular readers to be able to make any money fromit. I went travelling for 6 months and was posting every other day and managed to get a fair amount, but not enough to support my travels by any stretch - maybe the odd beer now or then. Look into google adsense or sponsorship :)

13. To get ANY money from blogging or running a website, you'd need to already have an established reader base BEFORE you go on the trips, which is a whole other dilemma because who'd read your travel blog if you're not travelling, right? The BEST way to go about it would be to get some kind of sponsorship, like you said, but good luck with getting sponsored to travel. There is another option, and that's crowdfunding, but it's really hit or miss there also.

14. Yeah, to monetize a travel blog we need to be a star and have tons of readers, but that would be something I'd love to do, travel all over Italy and write about it, I can't imagine a better job to be honest! :)

15. If you are down in the south, you can probably pick up some manual work on some the olive groves and farms. Mainly around the autumn and summer time! Pay might not be amazing, but some families will also put you up with a room!